The Matrix Resurrections - in theaters and HBO Max December 22

Trailer dropped this morning.

Looks like this time around, Neo is playing Keanu Reeves.

Shot by John Toll (!!!) and Daniele Massaccesi on Reds. The same old shit - blown-out, blurry, smeary digital. (On-the-nose music choices are always great too)

So cheap. Absolutely horrible. I can't believe it.

Edited by Shawn Martin

I feel like the saturated/magenta look has got to be a choice to subvert the original's green/low con look.

Which is, ironically, how everything looks these days thanks to the ALEVIII sensor. ?

But I'm not into it either. 

• Haha 1

• Premium Member

Hopefully that’s just a temp grade for the trailer, and not the grade they’ve built for the theatrical release.

Bill Pope’s work on the original was so absolutely exquisite, that it’s a brutal act (for anyone) to follow. 

The current trailer grade makes things look kinda cheap though. ?

Edited by Mark Kenfield

Hem, if you've watched The Matrix Revolutions (and remember the very ending), then the new look makes perfect sense. Anyway, looks absolutely fantastic.

Also, using a YouTube link and saying how "blurry" and "smeary" it supposedly is....

https://thedigitaltheater.com/2021/09/10/the-matrix-resurrections-2021-trailer-1-1080p-hevc-10-bit-video/

Much less compression and much higher quality and actual texture. Nothing blurry or smeary about it. 

Edited by Manu Delpech