Aungieneux 17 - 102mm T2.9 VS Cooke varotal 20-100mm T3.1

I just saw this test video and i was attracked by the look of the 1990's Aungieneux HR T3.5 version of the legendary 25-250 series 

My local rentals have only the Aungieneux 17-102mm HR T2.9 which i guess it will have a similar look as it seems to be a short-range version of the 1990's HR series  

I'm a bit confussed becouse i haven't seen this lens be noticed by cinematographers and there are almost no infos about this lens on the web 

I read that was used in 90's on the sitcom Seinfeld but if it was such a good lens wouldn't have a hard use on the movie industry? 

The 1970's legendary Cooke 20-100mm was still a workhorse on the industry on the 90's 

Edited by panagiotis agapitou

• panagiotis agapitou changed the title to Aungieneux 17 - 102mm T2.9 VS Cooke varotal 20-100mm T3.1
  • Premium Member

It would have had plenty of use in the 90s through to the 00s, most rental houses would have had one, but the Cooke 20-100 and 18-100 were probably more popular for that sort of range. 

A quick google shows it was used on films like Tsotsi and Black Dahlia, but there would have been more, as well as TV shows.