Accessing undistributed films (Derek Jarman Super8)

James Foster

I saw some of Derek Jarman's Super8 films at the Close-Up cinema in London a few years ago and for me it was a highly influential viewing experience such that I am currently in the process of producing my first film largely inspired by Jarman's. Unfortunately I have been unable to gain any further access to these films. They are held by the LUMA foundation based in Arles, France and any correspondence I have made to them regarding any information on the films has gone without reply. Despite much public statement about preserving the works legacy I have found that this is often the case with such non-profit foundations especially in my experience regarding artists film [I have hit a similar dead end in the past regarding the films of Ana Mendieta]. Being an industry outsider I find this all very confusing and frustrating and I was wondering if anyone would be able to put the matter in some perspective for me or offer any advice on how I might profitably approach these foundations about such research purposes.

Thanks,

J

Hi James,
Are there any particular Derek Jarman titles you're after ?
We have some spare 16mm prints in our archive for disposal.

Although I can't do anything urgently right now ( because of the imminent start of the Southend Film Festival ), I can check later on.
Get in touch if interested.

Cheers,
John S

Hi John,

Extremely kind of you to offer, any of his Super8 films would be of immense interest to me although I'm not sure they would have been distributed on 16mm; as far as I understand (though I may be completely wrong) the originals were never reproduced before being scanned and it is the foundation that holds the scan video.

Hi James,
See list below of all of our surplus Derek Jarman 16mm prints available for sale.
( there are multiple copies of some titles ). I've no idea which ( if any ) were shot on Super 8mm.

'The Last of England'
'
The Garden'
'
There We Are John'
'Pirate Tape'
'Sloane Square'
'In the Shadow of the Sun'
'Wittgenstein'
'Caravaggio'
'Edward II'
'Sebastiane'