The Tragedy of Macbeth (directed by Joel Cohen)

• Premium Member

So here's the trailer....would have been epic on Eastman Double X 35mm + shot by Jarin Blaschke if you ask me! but no....its on Arri Alexa again....which in my eyes makes it look like Denzel et al are playing dress--up....a complete other argument thread of course.

Regardless of my boring, predictable, anti-digital rant (come on, even the 'Red' cameras look more like film any day of the week than Alexa's) I'm sure I'm going to really enjoy this film - no doubt - as I studied the play as part of my education in English Literature back in the day. The 1.33:1 frame is soooooooooooooooo great for framing people don't you think....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Too bad MST3K has ended. 

Judging from the trailer only, MST3K's send-up on this could have run right next to their take on the German TV Hamlet. 

Ever since their first few films I've thought Coen Bros. was a top two-to-five active movie director but, from the trailer, this looks unwatchable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 9/21/2021 at 6:33 PM, charles pappas said:

Too bad MST3K has ended. 

Judging from the trailer only, MST3K's send-up on this could have run right next to their take on the German TV Hamlet. 

Ever since their first few films I've thought Coen Bros. was a top two-to-five active movie director but, from the trailer, this looks unwatchable.

Totally disagree....its definitely sparked my interest as has the 4:3 frame and already a Bergman influence about it. The only thing I already dont like is the digital look it has. That fake black and white thing.

9 hours ago, Stephen Perera said:

Totally disagree....its definitely sparked my interest as has the 4:3 frame and already a Bergman influence about it. The only thing I already dont like is the digital look it has. That fake black and white thing.

Agreed this is all subjective and based a few seconds of trailer, but I see, as you also say, a chintzy video look  and in addition it looks assembled in a computer from CGI, or green-screen or whatever on a cyclorama set, with pretentious portentousness.

Of course there is great talent attached to The Tragedy and I hope it turns out they have created a minimalist (minimalist based on the trailer) masterpiece. 

• 1 year later...
  • Premium Member
22 hours ago, John Shell said:

Please tell me you're joking

I am certainly not qualified for this opinion as a scientific fact, based on actually using said cameras...have never even seen one in person....plus the fact I am a 'mere' film photographer, shooting Hasselblad 6 x 6 for my work along with Aaton 16mm projects/work....but as a cinephile with an 'eye' calibrated by 56 years on their earth, about 50 of which a practicing 'artist' of sorts haha and about 45 of which an avid cinema-goer, that IS my opinion yes.....

• Premium Member

...just watched Lawrence Olivier's (1948) Hamlet, shot by Desmond Dickinson.....the filming of it certainly influenced this one I would say. Said film won 4 Oscars - Art Direction-Set decoration - and was nominated for another 3

Can't help but feel that real film has another ace up its sleeve. It would be difficult for AI to use a film camera, and to even make a nice batch of film. Yes, it could do just about everything else ..... maybe. But film on film? Nah.

• Like 1