Achieve this specific look

panagiotis agapitou

I was suprised by this "neon noire" Terminator's style image of the Duclos 2X rear anamorphic .. and i'm trying to figure out the mechanism behind this effect and how to achieve it without any anamorphic convertion 

(Btw all the shots appears to be with naturall light .. and if you consider that they used an Angenieux 25-250 HR wide open plus the one stop loss by the the anamorphic element .. it seems amazing that they achive this high quality exposure) 

41 minutes ago, David Mullen ASC said:

The look of Terminator 1 and 2 is just spherical lenses cropped to 2.40, other than the use of Low-Con filters on the first movie. And film of course. And lighting of course...

Sorry .. i didn't express my question the right way and i confuse you ?

I don't mean the look of Terminator i mean the look of the Duclos video 

Edited by panagiotis agapitou

• Premium Member

Because there's a cylindrical element at the back of the lens to squeeze the image, if you look at the element straight on, it looks square, so it's changing the shape of the bokeh from round to square.  You can probably simulate this effect by installing a square aperture hole at the back of a spherical lens the way some people simulate a front-element anamorphic look by putting an oval aperture at the back of the lens.

• Like 1