Which Monitor to Buy?

Haik Yan

I am planning to buy monitor which I am gonna use with different cameras.
So I need something universal monitor which gonna work with Blackmagic, Canon, Sony, Red cameras.
They should have color accuracy closer to cameras monitor and of course touchscreen.
Please share which one you would recommend and which one do you using right now.

• 3 weeks later...

My recommendation would be the SmallHD 703 UltraBright. I've been using this device regularly for nearly 2 years. Extremely versatile monitor with endless features (and SmallHD regularly releases firmware updates) and I/O connectivity, including the ability to cross convert HDMI to SDI and vice versa.

In my opinion, anything smaller than 7" makes framing a burden (and at this point I'm already comprising by shedding the EVF lol).

For color accuracy, you can upload your own calibration LUTs via SD card. There's also a function to calibrate the panel itself using a hardware color probe. I've personally never needed to do this.

As far as a touch screen, I (and many others with much more experience) purposefully avoid that capability. Nothing like an accidental bump or drop of sweat to add more stress to your day! haha

The biggest negative I routinely encounter is the focus puller trying to steal my monitor! ? (hence why it's pointed away from me in the accompanying photo)1254312934_easyrig.thumb.jpg.ff73ab03eb45320fb267bc8cb05d56fd.jpg

If you’re looking for color accuracy go tvlogic, vfm-055 or 58 are both great options for onboard. Smallhd’s can take luts but I’ve seen them go quickly out of calibration although I use them for focus pulling since they’re pretty feature friendly.

On 9/22/2021 at 1:08 PM, Haik Yan said:

and of course touchscreen.

I don’t know about that one, chief.