Kern Switar vs Pizar

David Dominguez

• Premium Member

Kern made both Switars and Pizars. The Pizars were a cheaper option, usually 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of a similar focal length Switar, but not as cheap as the Yvar range, which were mostly simple triplets and cheaper again.

I don’t know exactly what corners were cut to make Pizars cheaper. The f/1.5 25mm Pizar has pretty much the same 6 element optical formula as the f/1.4 25mm Switar, so maybe they used lower grade glass, or reduced tolerances. Originally it was labelled a Switar (the f/1.5 version, which was cheaper than the f/1.4) but sometime after reflex cameras were introduced it was re-labelled Pizar and only available as an RX option.

The 50mm Pizar is a different design to the Switar, 5 elements instead of 6, and a bit slower at f/1.8. 

The  image quality is still pretty good as far as I can tell, but I’ve never seen a side by side comparison. Unless you’re fastidious about getting the best image possible with a Bolex (in which case maybe sell a kidney and go for the later pre-set versions), I think I’d be happy with a Pizar. 

14 hours ago, Dom Jaeger said:

Kern made both Switars and Pizars. The Pizars were a cheaper option, usually 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of a similar focal length Switar, but not as cheap as the Yvar range, which were mostly simple triplets and cheaper again.

I don’t know exactly what corners were cut to make Pizars cheaper. The f/1.5 25mm Pizar has pretty much the same 6 element optical formula as the f/1.4 25mm Switar, so maybe they used lower grade glass, or reduced tolerances. Originally it was labelled a Switar (the f/1.5 version, which was cheaper than the f/1.4) but sometime after reflex cameras were introduced it was re-labelled Pizar and only available as an RX option.

The 50mm Pizar is a different design to the Switar, 5 elements instead of 6, and a bit slower at f/1.8. 

The  image quality is still pretty good as far as I can tell, but I’ve never seen a side by side comparison. Unless you’re fastidious about getting the best image possible with a Bolex (in which case maybe sell a kidney and go for the later pre-set versions), I think I’d be happy with a Pizar. 

thanks for the information, Dom!