Heavy 35mm fluid head okay for 16mm?

Jon O'Brien

Can you get good results from a heavy fluid head that's ideally made for something along the lines of a fully kitted-out Arri 35-3 for a much lighter weight 16mm camera? Do the big fluid heads not have enough smoothness for the pans and tilts if the camera is too light for it? Or better to go too big/heavy than too small/light when it comes to fluid heads? I've got an old Ronford & Baker F15 on really solid legs and want to know if I can use it for lighter 16mm work as well (for now). Later I hope to get a smaller tripod and head.

• Premium Member

I have found the secret to using a larger head for a smaller camera is to properly "warm up" the fluid before using it.

Back the pan and tilt drags off to minimum and vigorously exercise the head, both pan and tilt, for several minutes prior to use each day to get the fluid uniform and warmed-up.  Then tune the drag to suit your camera weight.

You should be fine.

After having issues with my vintage O'Connor 30 and Eclair ACL, I went for 150mm bowl and a Sachtler head from the early 1980s. That head is intended for Arri 35, with option for removing the plate so that the bottom mounted motor fits.

My first impressions have been that finally I have a sturdy enough support for my ACL. Pans and tilts are smooth. Granted, fully equipped with rods, matte box, follow focus etc. my ACL weighs around 9 kg so it's not the most lightweight 16mm camera anymore... ?

Edited by Heikki Repo