bolex EBM - DIGITAL video tap with CCTV CCD camera ?

Lewis Hart

hi all, found this little old thread on here about discussions to do a digital video feed with a cctv camera and lens. following specs with the photo attached.

"Marshall V-LCD4-Pro-Kit LCD monitor, Mintron CCD camera model MTV-33K9HN with 12mm f/1.6 1/3" CS mount TV lens, and SRB-Griturn custom viewfinder eyepiece adapter"

curious what MM lens should be used for the Bolex EBM viewfinder think its 13x (14x according to the manual which I didn't know) 

lens above says 12mm but its on super8 which I think has the 10x viewfinder? 

someone said @Jean-Louis Seguin I think maybe you? that the focal length for the EBM would have to be a wider lens? I would have thought the 13x would need a tighter lens. 

I can't find the original thread, but would love to knock up a setup. I know Du all seems to make a setup albeit quite large and clunky. 

trying to do it without a massive CCTV camera body, want to keep it trim and small as possible so can hand operate.

thanks ahead

lewis 

post-30580-0-01678800-1302758572-1.jpg

• Upvote 1

I have a similar setup i built to use w/ my beaulieu r16. Lens depends on sensor size obv, but i'm using this Hayear 1080p cam with an 8MM lens. I bought a couple c mount lenses + some 0.5mm spacers to test and that worked best w/ my cam. Powering the video tap camera + Beaulieu + Monitor via a v mount battery, pretty cool little shoulder rig.

There's also this guy who made a setup like this (but on a K3) using a GoPro with - I'm assuming - a macro lens, attached to the viewfinder. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CT_zgfKqYvs/

I imagine a gopro would be light enough to be supported by some kind of attachment to the viewfinder. Instead of this arm/rig to hold it there?

I'm still having doubts if such through-the-viewfinder setup will be good enough to really focus with properly.. how does that work for you @Kevin Neal?

22 hours ago, Kevin Neal said:

I have a similar setup i built to use w/ my beaulieu r16. Lens depends on sensor size obv, but i'm using this Hayear 1080p cam with an 8MM lens. I bought a couple c mount lenses + some 0.5mm spacers to test and that worked best w/ my cam. Powering the video tap camera + Beaulieu + Monitor via a v mount battery, pretty cool little shoulder rig.

sounds fab - I run mine from v mount also ? I have the 16-100 kern vario switar on my EBM, not sure what lens I would need? any ideas? 

21 hours ago, Thomas Harmsen said:

There's also this guy who made a setup like this (but on a K3) using a GoPro with - I'm assuming - a macro lens, attached to the viewfinder. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CT_zgfKqYvs/

I imagine a gopro would be light enough to be supported by some kind of attachment to the viewfinder. Instead of this arm/rig to hold it there?

I'm still having doubts if such through-the-viewfinder setup will be good enough to really focus with properly.. how does that work for you @Kevin Neal?

thats my concern also, im sure it would be fine to view through, but to get focus Im not sure how useful it would be? 

• Premium Member

there is cheap hdmi microscope cameras on ebay which can also be useful for experiments. I believe the gopro could be usable if you get the optics right so that you get full ground glass image to the sensor instead of a tiny image with lots of black area on sides.

it can be challenging to find sensitive enough but at the same time small and cheap cameras with proper optics for this use. most cheap cameras are so noisy that it is hard to get good enough image out of them at such low light levels (which you get from the ground glass) to see any focus issues etc. and even framing can be hard with some of them

On 10/6/2021 at 10:15 AM, Lewis Hart said:

sounds fab - I run mine from v mount also ? I have the 16-100 kern vario switar on my EBM, not sure what lens I would need? any ideas? 

it's just based on the cam ground glass size/distance etc. Easiest thing is get 2-3 cheap c mount lenses via amazon, test and return the incorrect ones. Between 6-10mm on cam with 1/2.3 sensor will prob get you there.