Rigging LED Tubes, Techniques & realiable Tapes for Smooth Surfaces.

Sam Bignell

Hey All!

Currently I rig most my RGB Tubes with Mayers 'K-Clamps' & Cardillinis, Scissor Clips on office buildings Ceelings and lastly Magnet Kits like the Androoki Kits.
I keep coming across surfaces where the only option would be tape, My gaffer tape is never strong enough, Heavy duty velcro is sticky enough but it's velcro.

I need sticky pads that is realiable enough to not risk falling on a prepped surface that consistantly can hold it's self stuck, even if at the cost of paint removal.
What tapes/or sticky pads have you used to help with securing Tubes to surfaces where traditional grip gear cant help.

Thanks
-Samuel

3M's VHB is pretty nice.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/c/tapes/b/vhb/

I have used the 4910 about 1/2" wide for LED tape and it holds great. There are foam versions as well that might be better for the tubes. It is pressure sensitive so pressing it nice and hard onto the surface before mounting the fixture is key.

If you go this route it is probably a good thing you are alright with paint removal once its stuck it is stuck.

The other option that came to mind was suction mounts.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

One minor trick with this sort of thing, if you don't want to pull the paint off, is to use a heat gun. Naturally, be gentle, as otherwise you'll risk taking off the paint as well, but it's a good trick with all kinds of sticky things that you'd like not to be attached any more. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Harrison Hohnholt said:

3M's VHB is pretty nice.

I have used the 4910 about 1/2" wide for LED tape and it holds great. There are foam versions as well that might be better for the tubes. It is pressure sensitive so pressing it nice and hard onto the surface before mounting the fixture is key.

If you go this route it is probably a good thing you are alright with paint removal once its stuck it is stuck.

yup. That stuff is used to mount signage.
It will stay stuck for sure.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Phil Rhodes said:

One minor trick with this sort of thing, if you don't want to pull the paint off, is to use a heat gun. Naturally, be gentle, as otherwise you'll risk taking off the paint as well, but it's a good trick with all kinds of sticky things that you'd like not to be attached any more. 

Mega tip, I'll give this a try at home at somepoint

4 hours ago, Harrison Hohnholt said:

3M's VHB is pretty nice.

3M VHB sounds absolutely great thanks!