KINOR 35PII

victor huey

• Premium Member

It is a Soviet copy of the Aaton35-3 but has a lot of differences. A somewhat experimental camera and extremely rare. That package on ebay is missing the batteries, cables and external regulator and is most likely not modified to BH perfs but it is likely that one could get it working if having it bh converted and the motor and control electronics updated and with full CLA and repairs. Probably we are talking something like 3k or 4k extra to get it in good enough condition to shoot serious stuff with it. 

I think there were something like 20 or 30 of them made total. Don't expect to find any spare parts for it. The last time I saw parts of this camera on ebay was maybe 6 years ago and never seen a full kit with batteries and cables and mags anywhere. You may need to get some parts manufactured from scratch if wanting to use this one for work

• Premium Member

I could personally purchase this if it cost less than 1k but it is "collectors only" for that current price. This is because I am able to make new control electronics by myself to get it electrically working. Would still need to have Olex cla it and made the needed repairs and possibly manufacture new parts for it.

You should ask olex what he thinks about the repair project begore buying. But personally I think it is a bit risky to expect to get it fully working for reasonable price if it is possible in the first place. Cool camera anyway as a props or collectors item

Thanks for your reply,yah i have seen these cameras come up form time to time, but why bother, too much work to get it working, and finding spare parts is impossible. More like a museum piece , sad because i really wonder if this camera actually worked in a production?

• Premium Member

probably they have used it for something in the past but probably not many productions, maybe one or two before the USSR fell.

The biggest issue with this type of rare cameras is that if some critical mechanical or optical parts are missing or broken it is extremely difficult and expensive to replace them because you need to manufacture the parts out of scratch which is very challenging for optical parts of movement parts and mirror shutter.

If the electronics would be broken one could just design whole new ones out of scratch which was difficult back in the old days but much faster and more straightforward nowadays when CAD design and microcontrollers are used. Still takes lots of time and effort but not so much so than back in the old days ?

If critical mechanical or optical parts would need to be replaced one would need to manufacture new ones which are similar manufacturing quality than the old ones. that is HARD to do well and will be very time consuming and expensive in any case because it can't be automatized and everything needs to be measured, manufactured and fitted manually by an expert with at least 15 or 20 years of experience making those parts

• 2 years later...