No Time To Die (2021) - spoiler free until US release

DP Linus Sandgren chose the Panavision G Series anamorphic primes for the Panaflex Millennium XL2 because he was inspired by Allen Daviau's work on E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial.

Says Sandgren, "I wanted a lens that would be a workhorse but also have beautiful flares that weren't overly dramatic..."

Nothing whatsoever to do with pandering to anybody, let alone the YouTube audience. 

Edited by Jon Pais
  • Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 9:05 PM, KH Martin said:

What are you talking about? The guy referenced how a generation has grown up seeing bad use of flares, but your post cited pre-youtube exceptions (which, as tradition have it, help prove the rule.)

Man, sometimes even this site produces some weird posts.

EDIT ADDON: I just read down the rest of the thread, maybe I should change 'weird posts' to 'weird posters.'  You aren't the same guy who poisoned the well on tech discussions at Nolanfans years back are you?

First of all, 'the guy' has a name: Stephen Perera.

Secondly, Perera specifically says "the cinematography was great aside from a few needless anamorphic flares that’s pandering to the YouTube generation that equates flares with great camera work haha".

Linus Sandgren is not pandering to anybody.

I suggest you cool your jets.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Reverence for cinematographers here is expected. I for one hold Linus Sandgren as one of my favourites not least because he's one of the world's best and most fervent celluloid-shooting DPs around. 

My opinion still remains, as a cinephile, that the film has one too many blue flares and they are pandering to the YouTube generation that equates a flare with great shooting. It may have been the producers for all we know that insisted on the flares who knows....haha wtf 

Ironic - I'm of the generation that spent time and effort trying to avoid flares using lens hoods at all costs before they became a thing.....

Edited by Stephen Perera

• Premium Member
Just now, David Mullen ASC said:

I saw the movie on Saturday, I didn't see an excessive use of anamorphic lens flares.

We're of the same generation David...do you recall trying to get rid of flares at all costs with lens hoods etc....I speak as a photographer not moving image of course!

• Premium Member

The movie that got me interested in filmmaking when I was 15 years old was "Close Encounters of the Third Kind", so obviously I don't have a problem with lens flares!  If the light source is in the shot, the flare is motivated, the only issue then is whether it works for the shot dramatically, it's like any other filmmaking technique. I mainly try to avoid flares coming from off-camera lights unless it is for a particular effect and feels motivated even when you can't see what is causing the flare.

And all the lens hoods in the world won't help of the light causing the flare is in the shot.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

your input always appreciated David thanks a lot...I remember as if it were yesterday watching Close Encounters of the Third Kind in our local cinema with its huge screen.....the music communication scene had everyone spell bound!!!

Edited by Stephen Perera

• Premium Member

I didn’t have any issues with the flares either. Cinematographers want Panavision anamorphic lenses for that exact blue streak flare. I felt the cinematography was serviceable for the story but I didn’t see anything that really made it stand out. Especially when placed along side SKYFALL.  More than anything, I found the story confusing and I also questioned some of the casting choices. Just my thoughts…

G

• Like 1

• Premium Member

ok ok maybe i was feeling grouchy on my first watch haha....the cinema was packed and I couldn't stretch my legs out properly as had people either side of me...and its a long film! I am going to the cinema to watch it again....lets see what I think then.....

I personally like Rami Malek as the villain.....the 40 year old has that look in the eye and the way he purses his lips makes him quite unnerving to watch. Of course the Freddie Mercury casting is hard to forget.

I liked the fact Ana de Armas character didn't become another Bond film trope and that her time was limited to the fight scene during that mission in Cuba and that's it.

The Mi6 characters are all great casting in my opinion. Judi Dench was superb in her time as 'M' and now Ralph Fiennes is a worthy successor. Ben Wishaw as 'Q' is great too and very believable. I like his line about being able to care my damage in his pyjamas thats any field agent etc et at home in a previous film.

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Stephen Perera said:

ok ok maybe i was feeling grouchy on my first watch haha....the cinema was packed and I couldn't stretch my legs out properly as had people either side of me...and its a long film! I am going to the cinema to watch it again....lets see what I think then.....

I personally like Rami Malek as the villain.....the 40 year old has that look in the eye and the way he purses his lips makes him quite unnerving to watch. Of course the Freddie Mercury casting is hard to forget.

I liked the fact Ana de Armas character didn't become another Bond film trope and that her time was limited to the fight scene during that mission in Cuba and that's it.

The Mi6 characters are all great casting in my opinion. Judi Dench was superb in her time as 'M' and now Ralph Fiennes is a worthy successor. Ben Wishaw as 'Q' is great too and very believable. I like his line about being able to care my damage in his pyjamas thats any field agent etc et at home in a previous film.

I actually agree with all you said Stephen! With one exception. I felt that Rami was a bit wasted for the talent that he is. I wanted to see more of him and his character. Ana was a total highlight! And of course, the regular supporting cast is rock solid. It was a couple of the other roles that I had issues with. 

G

• Like 1

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, Gregory Irwin said:

I actually agree with all you said Stephen! With one exception. I felt that Rami was a bit wasted for the talent that he is. I wanted to see more of him and his character. Ana was a total highlight! And of course, the regular supporting cast is rock solid. It was a couple of the other roles that I had issues with. 

G

They needed a henchmen scene doing henchmen things to help his character. I'm sure they shot it, but the film was horribly long. 

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Tyler Purcell said:

They needed a henchmen scene doing henchmen things to help his character. I'm sure they shot it, but the film was horribly long. 

His motivation to targeting millions of people was rather vague. Hugo Drax in "Moonraker" at least had this crazy Adam & Eve eugenics plan.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, David Mullen ASC said:

His motivation to targeting millions of people was rather vague. Hugo Drax in "Moonraker" at least had this crazy Adam & Eve eugenics plan.

Yep, exactly. There could have been a scene explaining why. However, I'm ok with lack of information, it allows the audience to make up for themselves why he'd do this. There are clues to his motivation. 

Edited by Tyler Purcell

• Premium Member

Huga Drax from Moonraker...yessss....what a great villain.....funny how they still all have the english accent = villain hahaha. I remember we all loved Jaws back in the day.....the best henchman ever?? the scene where he cuts the tension wire with his teeth forever etched in our memories hahah

Scaramanga was the coolest though.....Christopher Lee is great.

• Premium Member

The Spy Who Loved Me was SO cheesy...and absolutely terrific. Jaws really scared me as a kid - the fight scenes with Roger Moore have a strange tension. There was also something so especially cold about how Stromberg dropped his assistant in with the shark near the beginning. That Lotus...the British flag on the ski stunt - and what a soundtrack. Good times.

I haven't seen No Time To Die yet. I wonder if I will have as much fun.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I got this weird private message from a "Seeya" saying he is KH Martin and he was upset over me deleting an email(?)

Don't know why my email on the lens flare issue was deleted last month without any  notification on your end, but if you know anything about  me at all, you know that kind of censorship, especially the sneaky variety, doesn't fly, especially since it gives that shortsighted other poster the impression he is actually right about something.

I didn't see any way to scrub my account, so if you would please do the honors. Am seriously disappointed in you , man.  Don't bother replying, I won't be checking back in to see when you eliminate my account or anything else, unless it is just to skim for tech info, and never to log in or post. Your email info is out of date on me as well, so don't try that route.

Really bummed,

Kevin

I have no idea what this is about. I don't have a way of deleting posts myself and I never received some private PM about this nor deleted one, etc. I never asked Tim Tyler to get involved in deleting a post in this thread. I'm totally clueless about what is going on here.

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, Manu Delpech said:

What's the issue? Anamorphic flares are awesome.

no issue at all just saying its a youtube favourite....loads of pseudo anamorphic out there.....and filters and stuff.....and perhaps its even going up there to the pros to stick some in cos we, the proletariat equate flares with great camera work....so in a way pandering to the masses......maybe???? also saying as a film photographer flares were always something we wanted to kill in our photography with lens shades etc unless backlit shot bla bla. Personally i love spherical flares. esp on zooms where you see all the lens groups etc and dislike streak anamorphic flares

Edited by Stephen Perera