35mm 4 perf

Hello, 

I am looking to achieve this look, but am getting confused by the S35 and Standard 35 choices when scanning. 

If I shoot 4 perf 35mm with Spherical lenses am I able to achieve this look? Then when sending to the lab do I ask for a s35 scan or standard 35 scan?

Thank you!!

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-23 at 21.06.04.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-23 at 21.06.04 (1).jpeg

I'm not sure what you mean by 'this look'. 

Are you talking about the slight matte around the edges?

I ask because I've sent  batches of super 35 and standard (academy)35 to the same place for scanning and it didn't seen to confuse them. The academy footage had a slight rounded-corner gate look as above, but not nearly that pronounced. 

Edited by Phillip Mosness

Thanks for the feedback so far. 

Sorry should have been more specific. 

If i shoot 35mm 4 perf on an Arricam LT with a super35 gate. Will the scan come back with the same aspect ratio and Matte as the examples I referenced above?

Once again thank you for taking the time to explain!

• Premium Member

You might want to read the Arricam manual to get an idea of how the aperture plate works. There is no S35 gate as such, there are 3 perf and 4 perf aperture plates. The aperture plate can be fitted with a variety of masks with different aspect ratios and formats, but usually people leave the full aperture mask in to record the full negative. This allows for some reframing or multiple aspect ratios   in the finished product. The full aperture mask is usually either the Universal or ANSI 1.33 “silent aperture” mask. The operator frames using a chosen ground glass marked with a particular aspect ratio (or a combo of several) which is extracted from the full negative in post. 

Here’s the Arri ground glass and format mask book:

https://www.fdtimes.com/pdfs/howtos/ARRI_Groundglass_and_format_guide.pdf

If you shoot with the silent 1.33 mask in the aperture plate, the negative scan will be like the pictures you posted. You’d want the corresponding ground glass to be able to frame it properly. But essentially you can extract any aspect ratio from this image in post by cropping it down, and usually you’d always crop in a little from the edges of the actual exposed area, where you might see small hairs or fuzz etc. The ground glass marks are always smaller than the actual aperture for this reason.

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, Edward Hiscox said:

If i shoot 35mm 4 perf on an Arricam LT with a super35 gate. Will the scan come back with the same aspect ratio and Matte as the examples I referenced above?

Are you referencing the thick black border around the frame? This is what N35mm frame looks like, as to get the 4:3 aspect ratio, you need to slightly matte the frame. With S35mm, the image will go to the very edge of the visual area, closer to the frame without the black matte. 

Are you referencing the 4:3 "square" image? Whoever is scanning will automatically give you the native aspect ratio. There is no reason to even bring up the conversation because you may confuse the living crap out of them. All you want in a scan is the full frame including perforations, so you can make a decision on how you want it matted. 

Are you referencing the round edges around the frame? Not all camera aperture plates have that. You may have to do a bit of research on which cameras do. My Aaton 35III does have those round edges, but some of the other cameras I've shot with, do not. 

• Premium Member

The thickness of the borders suggest a full aperture scan of a camera with an Academy Aperture in the gate, 1.37 within 1.33... except that Academy is offset to the right of Full Aperture, so the scan is somehow trimmed on the left a little.

• Premium Member

When you send in exposed film to Kodak in London, they will ask you to fill out a form of what your requirements are. Tick 4 perf and the overscan option and get in touch with Digital Orchard and show them what you want the scan to look like.

• 1 month later...