A tale of two lenses

For Super 16, what really is the difference between the Kern Switar H16 Rx f1.4 25mm, and the Kern Macro Switar H16 Rx f1.1 26mm?

They both are said to cover Super 16. They are both Rx, thus good for use with the reflex Bolexes. There is only a tiny difference in speed. 

Why the enormous price difference? The former I've seen in the low hundreds and the latter in the low thousands. Can one generalise and say which of the two lenses is generally sharper and makes altogether more appealing images? Or are they both good?

• Premium Member

There was a thread not long ago about the difference between Switars and Macro-Switars, not that it shed much light:

https://cinematography.com/index.php?/forums/topic/82538-kern-switar-vs-kern-macro-switar/

But if you want to see a Switar in action, Uli just posted a lovely test he shot with one:

https://cinematography.com/index.php?/forums/topic/85940-ultra-16mm/&do=findComment&comment=551076

I mean, there’s very little to complain about in terms of how good a little C mount lens can look. They get a bit misty wide open, but not many lenses from 50 or 60 years ago don’t do that at f/1.4. The Macro-Switar pre-set version is a later lens, with better coatings, a slightly improved and faster design and much closer focus capabilities, but it’s not several times better, which is how much more it costs these days. In fact you can sometimes pick up a Switar for fairly cheap if you’re patient, but the pre-set Kerns seem to always be over-priced. 

So personally, unless money is no object or you’re definitely into macro work I don’t think it’s worth it really.  Obviously the condition of the lens matters too,  and there are some beat up looking Switars around, but choose wisely and I think you’d be fine with a Switar.