sony f55_ fan

david jenewein

hi all,

i would like to ask a question.

i just bought a used sony f55 from mpb.com and just setting up the camera through the menu.

the camera switched on the fan after about 10min and keeps on running since then, altough i am just klicking through the menu and not shooting!?

is this normal?

even when i switch off the camera and wait for a couple of minutes, then switch it on again, the fan will start immediately.

right now i enabled the following:  fan control_off in rec

so when i record the fan actually stops.

when not recording, the fan runs when i enabled 'fan control off', also when i just go through the menu.

the fan keeps on switching on and off, when i enable  'auto' or 'minimum'.

the camera also gets slightly warm, but i am not acutally operating it in terms of recording.

i wanted to ask if anybody has some experience with the camera, and if this is a normal behaviour?

or does it sound like there might be an issue?

also would you recommend switching the camera off while not recording for a while, and then switching it back on again when ready?

thank you, david

ps.: the camera doesn't have the raw recorder attached at the back

11 hours ago, david jenewein said:

hi all,

i would like to ask a question.

i just bought a used sony f55 from mpb.com and just setting up the camera through the menu.

the camera switched on the fan after about 10min and keeps on running since then, altough i am just klicking through the menu and not shooting!?

is this normal?

even when i switch off the camera and wait for a couple of minutes, then switch it on again, the fan will start immediately.

right now i enabled the following:  fan control_off in rec

so when i record the fan actually stops.

when not recording, the fan runs when i enabled 'fan control off', also when i just go through the menu.

the fan keeps on switching on and off, when i enable  'auto' or 'minimum'.

the camera also gets slightly warm, but i am not acutally operating it in terms of recording.

i wanted to ask if anybody has some experience with the camera, and if this is a normal behaviour?

or does it sound like there might be an issue?

also would you recommend switching the camera off while not recording for a while, and then switching it back on again when ready?

thank you, david

ps.: the camera doesn't have the raw recorder attached at the back

I would say its normal from my experience with f5/55 .. my fx9 does it too.. also depends the temperature of the room of course , but the camera will try to set a steady temperature straight away. I used to have mine set to auto , in a very quiet location it make a slight noise but never had to stop an interview because of it. Off in record is fine but if your doing very long tales in a hot environment there would be some possibly for damage I guess ..  generally I would switch off any camera if I knew no recording for a while , save battery if nothing else 

3 hours ago, Robin R Probyn said:

I would say its normal from my experience with f5/55 .. my fx9 does it too.. also depends the temperature of the room of course , but the camera will try to set a steady temperature straight away. I used to have mine set to auto , in a very quiet location it make a slight noise but never had to stop an interview because of it. 

How does the sound compare with the Red One MX's fan? Interested in an F55 myself but can't do a loudish camera. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Max Field said:

How does the sound compare with the Red One MX's fan? Interested in an F55 myself but can't do a loudish camera. Thanks.

I haven't used the RED MX, is that the one with the fan that sounds like a jet taking off ? .. f5/55 fan is pretty quite , I guess it was quite enough to shoot 2 seasons of The Crown , my f5 in a quite room you could hear it right next to your head but I never once had an audio person complain to me about it. or post /editors etc. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Robin R Probyn said:

I would say its normal from my experience with f5/55 .. my fx9 does it too.. also depends the temperature of the room of course , but the camera will try to set a steady temperature straight away. I used to have mine set to auto , in a very quiet location it make a slight noise but never had to stop an interview because of it. Off in record is fine but if your doing very long tales in a hot environment there would be some possibly for damage I guess ..  generally I would switch off any camera if I knew no recording for a while , save battery if nothing else 

thanks robyn, very helpful