Eastern Bloc

Two parter question here...I’m going to be shooting a feature in the Eastern Bloc, to avoid flicker in the lights I plan on either shooting 24fps/172.8 shutter angle OR 25fps/180 shutter angle, either of these will be safe from flicker while shooting? The other question I had is we have a scene with a few old CRT PC Monitor’s and am debating the specific shutter angles needed to be safe while shooting either 24/25fps (whatever distributor decides). Any and all help would be appreciated since I can’t physically go scout/test in the location prior to shooting. 

It will be easiest to sync using 25fps, especially shooting the CRT displays.

For some distribution, you’ll need to slow the playback to 24fps, which I’ve done in the past.

It is possible that you’ll come across some LED lighting or computer screened that don’t sync well and you’ll need to experiment with shutter angles for the best result.

• Premium Member

I can only echo what Bruce says. Modern lighting, particularly fluorescent, metal halide and LED, is likely to use electronic ballasts which may cause flicker at almost any frequency the designer found convenient, and which may have nothing to do with the local mains frequency. Equally, most computer displays won't; they're often at 60 or 72Hz regardless the local TV standards. Often you can change it but even then you won't have synchronisation between multiple computers in the same room. 

P