Ag-DVC30 - Step up ring is stuck to camera, how can I remove it with little leverage room?

Jared Hall

There’s no room to get any leverage and i need to remove this to fit my fisheye lens on it. Really not sure how I can get this off, it’s stuck pretty good. 

PS. I didn’t put this there. I bought the camera and didn’t even realize this was a step up ring until today. 

11E124C2-B067-4EBA-B81C-C9EC516EB810.jpeg

Edited by Jared Hall

• Jared Hall changed the title to Ag-DVC30 - Step up ring is stuck to camera, how can I remove it with little leverage room?
  • Premium Member

(I now see this is a duplicate thread started by the OP.  Only ONE is required;  multiple only waste bandwidth!)

A friction tool is the best bet.  A solid rubber stopper,  a gum rubber "puck" or or any rubber type item like a jar lid opener can be pressed firmly and evenly down on the face of the ring while turning.

Its like opening a stubborn jar of pickles;  press down and turn while gripping the lens barrel firmly.

If you use sheet rubber, find a similar diameter object with a flat bottom, place the rubber sheet over the ring and align the bottom of the can or bottle or whatever to fit over the center of the ring, touching evenly on the rim of the adapter.  Start with light pressure and work your way up;  sometimes it comes of fairly easy, other times it can take an amazing amount of force to remove a stuck ring.

This video deals with lens disassembly with a specific set of tools, but the same principal applies:

Edited by Frank Wylie

On 10/13/2021 at 7:17 AM, Frank Wylie said:

(I now see this is a duplicate thread started by the OP.  Only ONE is required;  multiple only waste bandwidth!)

A friction tool is the best bet.  A solid rubber stopper,  a gum rubber "puck" or or any rubber type item like a jar lid opener can be pressed firmly and evenly down on the face of the ring while turning.

Its like opening a stubborn jar of pickles;  press down and turn while gripping the lens barrel firmly.

If you use sheet rubber, find a similar diameter object with a flat bottom, place the rubber sheet over the ring and align the bottom of the can or bottle or whatever to fit over the center of the ring, touching evenly on the rim of the adapter.  Start with light pressure and work your way up;  sometimes it comes of fairly easy, other times it can take an amazing amount of force to remove a stuck ring.

This video deals with lens disassembly with a specific set of tools, but the same principal applies:

Thank you so much for this reply! I am going to try this out when I can get my hands on one of these tools. For now I just decided to get a step down ring as I cant risk damaging the camera.

Also, I intended to delete one of these posts since I posted 2, but I havent found a way to do that. Are posts not removable?

Thanks again!

• Premium Member

Improvise! 

Unless you are just swimming in money and have to throw it away to keep the giant stacks from falling and crushing you;  It doesn't have to be an "official tool" (if there ever was such a thing).  Any form of sheet rubber with some degree of tackiness and a PVC pipe or olive jar of the right diameter will work just as well.

As for deleting;  don't know. 

Sorry!