Looking for Bolex Rer-5 magazine saddle cover plate

Adriano Cimino

• Premium Member
On 10/13/2021 at 3:04 PM, Adriano Cimino said:

Hi,

as the title says, I am looking for the bakelite cover for the mag top opening on the camera's body.

Please contact me here, or at giangiacometto_9 at hotmail dot com.

Good day.

There's one here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284482371660?hash=item423c78804c:g:C4oAAOSwfAtgnWqg

16 hours ago, Uli Meyer said:

OMG that price just for a small piece of bakelite or whatever it's made of. I was also thinking of replacing my broken one, think I'll carry on with the gaffer tape ?

Or maybe it's possible to knock up one simply out of metal...

Edited by Doug Palmer
add words

Funnily enough I was thinking about this the other day.

If you don't need to remove it all the time, a cheaper option may be to cover the hole with thermoplastic. I made a battery charger for a scoopic out of the stuff a few months ago and it's amazing. Maybe in black and perhaps with the hole blocked from inside too with something that also blacks out the light, it could be a cheaper solution. You just heat the plastic in hot water to get it flexible, then you could form it over the hole.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171841935289?hash=item280293d7b9:g:x2IAAOSwll1WxM-P

Hi, and thanks for replies.

Yes I've seen that ebay insertion already, but I subscribe the "OMG that price just for a small piece of bakelite or whatever" opinion. There are two more selling on ebay, both are broken and glued together. 

The question could then shift on which is the right glue for bakelite, or any other solution, keeping in mind the cover is mostly intact. What is broken is the very end of the piece, the curve tab fitting under the horizontal metal stick: it must be a most efficient glue, then.

14 minutes ago, Adriano Cimino said:

Hi, and thanks for replies.

Yes I've seen that ebay insertion already, but I subscribe the "OMG that price just for a small piece of bakelite or whatever" opinion. There are two more selling on ebay, both are broken and glued together. 

The question could then shift on which is the right glue for bakelite, or any other solution, keeping in mind the cover is mostly intact. What is broken is the very end of the piece, the curve tab fitting under the horizontal metal stick: it must be a most efficient glue, then.

I hadn't till now realised this appears a common problem and Bolex didn't think it out properly. There is indeed quite a strain on the cover-plate, and I would think metal may be necessary to repair yours, perhaps using small bolts. My one is luckily broken in the middle and can be easily taped over.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/15/2021 at 1:41 PM, Simon Wyss said:

Shall I make it a project of mine? The plan is to manufacture a metal version, spring steel.

It may be a good idea Simon... must be a lot of broken ones out there.  However, I just managed to repair mine with Araldite. It seems OK for now, haven't tried to break it ?