Using Diopter/Close-Up Filters. Does diameter have to correlate with lens diameter?

Joseph Tese

• Premium Member

Hello,

I might invest in some diopter/close-up filters for macro work. For my application, I will be utilizing a mattebox that can accept circular filters with step up/other adapters, or 4x5.6. But I've only seen them in circular format. I'm sure there's a scientific reason for this, and practical cost reason as well.

Regardless of the drop-in method.. On Schneider's website, it seems they are only offered in one large size. This leads me to believe that you can use a diopter that is larger than the outer diameter of your lens?- or Would it change the amount of magnification (or anything else for that matter) if there is a diameter difference between the filter and camera lens? I just want to make sure if I invest in a large diopter(s), it won't matter whatever camera lens I use it with. And if it does, what I should be cognizant of.

• Premium Member

Diopters are basically magnifying lenses of different strengths. That’s why they are round. The most common sizes are 138mm, 4.5”, 5” and 6” round. It really doesn’t matter if the diopter has a larger diameter than the taking lens. As long as the taking lens is centered on the diopter, it will work. You just don’t want it smaller than the lens due to coverage over the taking lens.

G