Zeiss 25mm t2.2 Image Circle/Super35 Coverage?

Levi Porter

I’ve been trying to fill out a set of Arri S mount Zeiss lenses. One of the last parts is the 24/25mm spot.

I know that there was a 24mm t2.2 Lens made that would cover a super 35 image circle. This would be ideal of course.

But, there was also a 25mm t2.2 lens that I assume was made for 16mm coverage. I’ve read that this lens also covers a super 35 image circle, but want to hear if anyone else has tried this.
Adding to uncertainty, there are two versions of this lens that I have found. The earlier serial numbers of this lens have a more protruding rear element. The later version is less protruding.

So my main question is, for anyone with experience with the Zeiss Arri Standard Prime 25mm T2.2, was it able to cover a super 35 image circle?

• Premium Member

I’ll be curious to hear any responses to this question.

As far as I knew, there was only the 24mm Standard Speed, made for 35mm format, and the 25mm Super Speed made for 16mm format. 

Those are both Distagons, the retro-focus design family Zeiss often uses for wide angle lenses. The only reference to a Zeiss 25mm T2.2 in Standard mount I can find with a quick google is a seller with examples of a 25mm Planar lens, which was a design typically used for medium to long focal lengths. The widest Standard Speed Planar for example is 32mm, while the widest Super Speed Planar (for both 16 and 35mm formats) is 50mm. So a 25mm Planar is unusual, and in fact the same seller has a 16mm Planar in Arri S mount as well, which is extremely unusual.

Going off that I would take a punt that these are very early 16mm format lenses, but they don’t appear on lens lists for the Arri 16St, which is odd. 
At any rate, if they are 16mm format lenses it’s very unlikely they would cover 35mm let alone S35.