Cropping Standard 16 to 1:66

Matt Altman

• Premium Member

You will never see the difference, especially with fine grain stocks. I've done a lot of testing cropping 16mm to super 16mm frame size and it's really not a big deal. 

The beginning of this is standard 16mm cropped to 1.85:1. You'd never know! 

Hi Tyler, thank you for your response and for sharing this example. 1:85 is my favorite!

So basically -- it's totally passable -- but what about technically? Do you not think the IQ is determined more by negative size rather than scan resolution? Like you are just enlarging grains once you reach the resolution limit?

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Matt Altman said:

Hi Tyler, thank you for your response and for sharing this example. 1:85 is my favorite!

So basically -- it's totally passable -- but what about technically? Do you not think the IQ is determined more by negative size rather than scan resolution? Like you are just enlarging grains once you reach the resolution limit?

I mean if you shoot fine grain, nobody is going to notice. I punched in on the actual scan, rather than in post. It's also a 4k scan, what you're seeing is a 1:1 output from the 4k scan to 4k YouTube. 

Super 16 negative only hits around 2.5k of resolution, but 50D is a lot crisper than 250D. A LOT. 

If you want us to scan your film, that's what we do. We can do exactly what we did on ours. ?