Submitting short stories to magazines

Patrick Cooper

I was wondering if there were many magazines around these days that accept submissions of short stories for payment? I know that during the 1970s, Stephen King submitted many short stories to adult mens magazines. Though I don't know if this is a thing anymore. The industry is somewhat different these days. I do have an interest in writing suspense and horror etc so I guess I would need to target publications that favour those kinds of themes.

I think you just gotta try it. And if you really have an interest...don't give up. But from what I gather...it is tough being a writer.

There is a writer's forum that may help you. They banned me maybe 5 - 6 years ago. You check it out, if they are still running.

Absolute Write is a moderated, free, online community of writers, agents, editors, and publishers. We welcome writers of all levels of experience and ambition.
Aug 2, 2021 — A Community For Writers. ... Absolute Write Water Cooler Forums Migration Update. May 6, 2021 by Lisa. * The server is up and running.
Does anyone know if/when the Absolute Write forum shut down? Trying to figure out if they're gone, especially the very useful "Bewares and Recommendations" ...
AbsoluteWrite: the online community for writers, from beginner to pro. ... Write Web site, which is separate from the Absolute Write Water Cooler Forum.
Absolute Write Water Cooler. Absolute Write's Bewares and Background Check forum is invaluable for discussions of questionable agents and publishers.

A good series to get from your library, if yours has it, is Season 5 of Twilight Zone. Disc 5 & 6 has interviews of Rod Serling talking about this very subject, the rejection and how he finally succeeded as a writer.

One editor got so mad at Serling for sending in proposals he finally wrote him back and told him he should give up any idea of being a writer...he had no talent. I was going to cut out clips to put on the I.A., but I'm so overloaded. I have hundreds of DVD's and more VHS tapes that need clips cut out, so I gave up on it. I was just thinking it may help someone out. But I can't do it all.

I have no interest in being a writer. But I did try a mag proposal one time. A friend put together a mechanical, rotating climbing wall. It was quite a job. As I helped him I took lots of photos. I wrote to a climbing mag and asked he they were interested. They said no to the article. I asked if they would give me free year subscription for the article...they said no. That is my experience. 

Good luck!

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.