Favorite Drone Movements for Cinematic Footage

Noah Zastrow

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of months ago my partner and I were scouting locations for a feature film and I happened to have an idea for drone shots on both locations.

The problem with drone shots that I've noticed is that they quickly get really boring if there's not some action going on.

For example the first shot looked really bland without the little red car in it. So when this red car came by I tried the shoot and it looked great. So I made the change to the story of the film just a little to add a red car to the main character and it will compliment a few other shots.

A similar thing happened in the second shot where the shot looked really boring without the truck but as soon as I saw the truck and tried the shot it looked a lot better.

So I'm all for having a drone shot as a revealing shot or closing shot but I think the key to a shot like that working is to have something that ties into the narrative or the shots around it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

When I was younger I used to do a bit of paragliding and so whenever I see random drone shot, it often makes me think it is a point of view from a character in the story, even if there isn't one ?

Edited by Uli Meyer