Fotokem SHIFT ai Film Scan-Back service BETA is LIVE!

Hey All!

I'm pleased to announce that Fotokem's SHIFT AI is now in beta! This is a new service we are offering to "SHIFT" Digital Source material to Film! No Plugins, no LUTs, no artificial grain, just print scan back for all the analog film goodness. Simple by the minute pricing. We're currently recommending this service for short format projects. (Commercial, Music Video, Short Film, Film/TV Insert sequences) See the link below for information, before/after stills and Vimeo Link! Let me know if you have any questions via DM, on this thread, or via our department email:

https://shiftai.fotokem.com/#/

shiftai@fotokem.com

Some people have been curious regarding the stocks used, we are recording to 2254, and printing to 2383, with the hope to add more options when we move out of beta.    

I've also been interviewed recently and I discuss SHIFT.ai in greater detail.  You can skip to the last 30 or so minutes for specifics.     

Alastor,

Good interview. I really like your remark at 51:40, "Sometimes, manipulating a shot can make it worse..". Hearing about the use of discernment during color grading is refreshing. Thanks for sharing your insights and for offering a valuable tool that helps broad our visual language.

• Like 1

What an interesting possibility. Shoot on digital, then offer clients the option of a reasonably authentic 'film look'. Simpler just to shoot on film but for some people and some situations that mightn't be possible. I wonder if sound, recorded with the digital, could be preserved in-sync after transfer to film.

Edited by Jon O'Brien

8 hours ago, Tyler Purcell said:

It does record to negative and then there is a print made. You could ask them to forgo the print? 

Isn't the internegative 2254 quite a bit different looking then say vision 3 50d? Since it's meant to replicate a negative and not an actual real life capturing filmstock, I think the colors is going to be a bit wonky?

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Jack Jin said:

Isn't the internegative 2254 quite a bit different looking then say vision 3 50d? Since it's meant to replicate a negative and not an actual real life capturing filmstock, I think the colors is going to be a bit wonky?

Much cleaner, but no it should look very similar. Its when you make a print that things change dramatically. I wouldn't make a print, I would just scan the internegative. It will give just enough "pop" to the grain and it won't degrade the image as much. I've never been a fan of making a print from an IN for retaining quality, it doesn't make sense. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...