Scenes from a Marriage (HBO) 2021 version - remake of Ingmar Bergman TV mini-series

• Premium Member

So this is a remake of the 1973 TV mini series by Ingmar Bergman. Originally 6 episodes but this new one is in 5.

Really excellent and highly recommended - esp. for those who have gone through a divorce with children like myself. The writing and scenes and situations touch nerves of course, as intended and we have some superb acting to boot. A must watch. I don't have any tech details to share.

One thing I find annoying is the too high on the volume (in my opinion) sfx of them eating / drinking - I'm one of those people that can't stand people who make noise when eating hahaha). We get it...they are pouring wine and drinking it and all the rest of it.....the folly dept. was doing their thing I guess.

On a par emotionally and acting-wise to the superb Marriage Story by Noah Baumbach featuring Adam Driver and Scarlett Johansson.

Edited by Stephen Perera

• Premium Member

My opinion isn't worth much, but I respectfully disagree. ?

I almost made it through two episodes and then I just couldn't take it any longer. It was so laborious. It's like they set out to write this for two great actors to show absolutely every nuance of dramatic acting instead of just driving the story. I think they are both terrific actors and I have enjoyed other prior performances. Just saw Dune, Isaac was fine...and Chastain was great in the Tammy Faye movie.

But in this? Oh my. Also some of it was just weird. Why was he so interested in learning more about the other man? He was fawning at times. It looked like he was going to bat his eyelashes at one point. I just didn't care about either of them and just kept saying to myself JUST EFFING LEAVE ALREADY.

I was so frustrated by the pace, the arduous dialogue, and YES when he started diving into that leftover pasta - I know what you mean Stephen. Come to think of it, that might have been the last noodle for me.

Maybe it got better and I missed out, but when you start hating the characters and it's just two people in a room, I start looking for the exit.

I DID enjoy the look behind the scenes at the beginning. I honestly would have liked more of that. ...and technically, it was all beautifully shot in my amateur opinion. ...but that phone book boat anchor of a script...

Loved Marriage Story too by the way.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Hey Raaf, its ok to disagree and I appreciate you coming in on this......I think its 'cos I am divorced with two sons that I REALLY connected to it......I DO think you have to be in this mindset to really get it......same with the film Marriage Story......but yes the over the top eating and drinking and pouring wine sounds were annoying haha...its great for a Coca Cola commercial but you know....

Edited by Stephen Perera