Cooke s4: Worth the cost of rental?

omar robles

Just curious on the opinion of the members of this forum on this question.  Are Cooke s4 lenses worth the cost of rentals? As you may know they aren’t cheap to rent so I am curious whether the look is so much superior to the more affordable options that it’s worth it. I own a set of Sony cinealta primes and it gives me a good clean loook. However my friend showed me some footage he shot using Cookes and I loved the look.  I wasn’t involved in the filming so I don’t know how much of what I liked was about the lens or the grading. 

• Premium Member

Are Cooke S4s really that expensive to rent? They’re getting pretty old now, they’re not high speed or full frame, so I would have thought they’d be less than a lot of newer lenses. Obviously not compared to budget lenses like Sonys or C.P2/3s or the like, but compared to other top quality cine lenses. They’re a bit out of fashion with the “only circular bokeh is good bokeh” police but that should just make them cheaper to rent.

I still think they’re among the best cine lenses ever made, just classic designs based on decades of Taylor Hobson knowledge and the first prime series to use cams to control the focus. Very durable and reliable, not too sharp and super lovely on faces. Rent them for a day and try them out yourself.