Non union AD rate

Kenny Williams

Not sure if it matters or not, but I'm going to start with a little of my background. I pretty much exclusively pa on mostly non union reality or commercial projects with a few union shows sprinkled in. Last I counted I had around 230 days as a pa. 

Earlier this year in the summer I applied to be the in house production assistant for a pretty successful YouTube channel just so I can take a break from the crazy freelance life and be q little stable for a bit. I didn't endes up getting it despite how well the interview went I was told I was extremely over qualified and they'd contact me in the future for other roles they felt I'd fit better in. Fast forward and they contacted me a few times to come art pa and set pa for them. They've recently asked me to come be an AD when they get situated in their new location. Currently the production manager has been doing it. From what I've seen when I've been there it's nothing too difficult. The cast and crew shoot weeky with each other and everything essentially runs itself even with the schedule and the days are around eight hours anyway. I've got a few years experience as a floor director in news, so I'm not completely new to keeping things running I feel I can do it and I'm excited for the opportunity. My question is does anyone have any information on what an AD makes? I have absolutely no idea and dont know which numbers I've founs to be true. Does it matter the type of production? Or if its union or non union? Any information is appreciated! 

Tough call for web based new media.  Moreso cause you're brand new to the job so you'd have a hard time commanding market rate.   Typically A 1st A.D. has worked as a 2nd 2nd and then a 2nd A.D. many times on many sets big and small before they ever took on a 1st A.D. job.  Ideally they were trained under a DGA 1st A.D. and know what the job is inside and out before taking it on.  Maybe none of this applies in your case but that would also mean the rate would be probably way lower than what you'll find online cause it's apples and oranges if the experience level doesn't factor in.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Michael LaVoie said:

Tough call for web based new media.  Moreso cause you're brand new to the job so you'd have a hard time commanding market rate.   Typically A 1st A.D. has worked as a 2nd 2nd and then a 2nd A.D. many times on many sets big and small before they ever took on a 1st A.D. job.  Ideally they were trained under a DGA 1st A.D. and know what the job is inside and out before taking it on.  Maybe none of this applies in your case but that would also mean the rate would be probably way lower than what you'll find online cause it's apples and oranges if the experience level doesn't factor in.

Totally agree but like I said this hardly seems like an AD that's just what they label it as and I could honestly do it AS a pa, but if they wanna change my title.