zeiss distagon 12mm 1:1,2 arri b mount for Super 16?

Uli Meyer

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
On 11/19/2021 at 6:44 PM, Dom Jaeger said:

All the Zeiss Super Speeds for 16mm format cover S16, even the 9.5mm. 

Another question: Did the Zeiss Super Speeds Mk II for S16 ever come in Arri B-mount? Or only the Mk I?

Edited by Uli Meyer
added S16

Mk IIs with Arri B mount were quite common on eBay a few years ago. Their mount to lens connection uses the same 8 hole flange as the PL mount,. So the Arri B and PL mounts are interchangeable. Normally reshimed if the mount is swapped over. Aftermarket 8 hole PL mounts of reliable quality are not normally cheap, but used Zeiss 8 hole Arri B mounts may still be turning up on eBay cheap if you need that.

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Gregg MacPherson said:

Mk IIs with Arri B mount were quite common on eBay a few years ago. Their mount to lens connection uses the same 8 hole flange as the PL mount,. So the Arri B and PL mounts are interchangeable. Normally reshimed if the mount is swapped over. Aftermarket 8 hole PL mounts of reliable quality are not normally cheap, but used Zeiss 8 hole Arri B mounts may still be turning up on eBay cheap if you need that.

Thank you Gregg! Now that you mention this, I remember a few years ago I briefly owned a set of S16 Superspeeds Mk IIs and one Mk III, which all had PL adapters (not sure about the Mk III), but I wasn't sure if I remembered that correctly. I only dabbled in 16mm for a brief period before switching to 35mm. I wish I hadn't sold them since I recently bought a S16 Arri St with an Arri B mount. Now it seems near impossible to find any Mk II B-mounts for sale. I'll keep looking.

Hey Uli,  what I didn't explicitly say above is that you could get MK II or III lenses in PL mount and swap the mount to a used Arri B mount (may still find them cheap). Otherwise a new aftermarket Arri B mount may be the same cost as the PL ones,  almost USD400. I think Visual Products used to list them.

I don't know if the exact Zeiss eight hole mount geometry has been used on other S16 lenses. Optar Illunia? Dom might know.

Cine Kowa may be another option, they were in Arri B mount.

• 1 year later...