Arriflex 16 BL

Joshua Ewert

Hi everybody!

My name is Josh and I am studying film in south Germany. For years I wanted to have a 16mm camera and a few days ago I bought myself an Arriflex 16BL with a lovely 10mm Schneider-Kreuznach. I absolutely love that camera. It just feels great and right. After finding some old Arriflex collectors selling spare parts that I needed (some screws and a power cable) I will soon have everything to shoot with it. 
I don't bought it with the intention to get the "film look" or to shoot "vintage footage". I simply would love to learn from that camera and grow as a cinematographer. I think that it will make me learn more about cinematography just as much as shooting stills on film made me a better photographer, I guess. 

I have the regular non sync 25fps motor and I don't need a motor that can run higher or lower framerates but after thinking about it, I would love to have the sync speed motor to consider shooting some short films on it. Does someone sells the sync speed motor for the BL?
Is it possible to get audio synced with the non sync motor (as stupid as that might sound) or is the variation in speed too significant? 

Please share your experience with the 16BL, I would love to learn everything about it! 

Thank you!

Josh 

Edited by Joshua Ewert

When you say sync motor, are you referring to crystal sync? There was a crystal sync accessory that you could attach to the motor housing. I suspect there mightn't be many of those around.

There is also a 50Hz output from the camera that can be connected, using a cable, to the recorder. This can be used for the sync with pilot tone on a Nagra, although we used it straight onto a second track on a 1/4" half track Tandberg recorder.

30 minutes ago, Brian Drysdale said:

When you say sync motor, are you referring to crystal sync? There was a crystal sync accessory that you could attach to the motor housing. I suspect there mightn't be many of those around.

There is also a 50Hz output from the camera that can be connected, using a cable, to the recorder. This can be used for the sync with pilot tone on a Nagra, although we used it straight onto a second track on a 1/4" half track Tandberg recorder.

Hey Bryan, thank you for your comment. 

I was told that they're 3 different motors for the BL. The regular one (the BL) which I think I have and can be used from 10-40fps. The BLE that can be crystal sync with an external device. I don't know if the BL can too. I think from what I understand you definitely need a device. The third one is a 42V. These are informations I got searching around but I'm still not sure. In the Arri user manual they refer to a "tuning fork" and a "crystal control" for sync sound with the "universal DC 12V Motor" which must be the BLE (10-40fps). I think I got things mixed up because I don't understand much about all that. 

Josh

4 hours ago, Duncan Brown said:

I scanned this a while back and it might be of some use in your adventures.  Unlike me, you can actually read it and not just look at all the pretty pictures!

http://backglass.org/duncan/arri/paperwork/arri_16bl_parts_manual_october_1967_german.pdf

Duncan

Hey Duncan! 

Thank you very much! I got some pdf's about the Arriflex BL but I take everything I get to help me understand that camera! I sure will read your document. I just can't open that link... would you mind sending it to me via email? Joshua.ewert@hotmail.de 

thank you anyways! 

Josh