Apature newer Hyper Reflector Design Quirks Opinions?

Sam Bignell

Aputure and Godox for a while now have been producing incredible numbers in there light output specs sheets with their new hyper reflector dish design.
Godox way before amaran was boasting a whopping 61,000 Lux w/ the dish compared to the 300D at 45,000 Lux W/ Dish (1m)

Aputure has caught onto this and the Amaran range 200D is now also producing 65,000 Lux W/Dish.

But it's become more common knowldge that these light are actually coming with an extreme hotspot inflating the numbers making them unsuitable unless shot through diffusion either directly (straight on the light) or at a distance with a large frame, they also have different spot degrees / focusing of light.

The best way to measure these light is obiously RAW output no dish which shows the Godox VL 150 only produces 6400 Lux compared to the 300D whopping 11,000 Lux

yuiyuiy.thumb.JPG.67ac895c3e5ed9ea6e41c45c8b9bacc2.JPG

My big question though is 95% of the time I use a bownes mount lights it's used to shoot into big diffusion frames w/ the dish does this increased hotspot actually do anything to my output once it hits that diffussion or is it just causing an uneven spread over my fabrics?

Thanks

-Samuel

• 1 month later...

You can still compare light outputs by taking the measurement at the periphery of the beam not the hot spot. I agree the reason for this hot spot can probably be found in the marketing department.

The hot spot will create uneven spread. While not ideal, you can easily fix it with a piece of gel, maybe an opal or a ½ diffusion. Maybe this is also a good use case scenario for the new fancy Rosco Opti-sculpt gels. I personally am using a third party Bowens reflector I found that is more even than the OEM one.

On 1/6/2022 at 4:34 PM, Guillaume Cottin said:

You can still compare light outputs by taking the measurement at the periphery of the beam not the hot spot. I agree the reason for this hot spot can probably be found in the marketing department.

The hot spot will create uneven spread. While not ideal, you can easily fix it with a piece of gel, maybe an opal or a ½ diffusion. Maybe this is also a good use case scenario for the new fancy Rosco Opti-sculpt gels. I personally am using a third party Bowens reflector I found that is more even than the OEM one.

Which third party reflector are you using ?