Doorway dolly and macro lenses

Matt Rozier

This may seem pretty basic but I’ve never actually tried it. When using a macro lens - say a 100mm for example on full frame - would the frame just be too bouncy with a camera on a doorway dolly? I’m guessing the answer is yes, but I just want to be sure ? I imagine a slider may be more successful, but is a macro on a doorway dolly possible? Would it be possible on the wheels (ie. Not on track?). Anyone tried this and failed/succeeded? 

• 1 month later...

I've done a fair bit of macro work on tabletop, and it's very difficult to be smooth even on a dana dolly, so I can't imagine it being better on a doorway dolly, but you may find differently.

What's worked best for me is dana dolly with a few extra shot bags on the dolly just to give it more momentum and help to smooth the starts and stops.

• 3 weeks later...

Dana dolly's are doable as long as you don't need to pan or tilt, also depends how long the move is. If you can weigh down the doorway dolly enough and have some nice smooth track, that might be better than a dana dolly imho. What you can also do is angle the track slightly higher on one side so gravity does most the work. 

If you can get a fisher 10 with the RHC knob you'd be set (great for micro boom adjustments). I use that for macro table top stuff all the time, works great.