Converted Arriflex ST Super 16mm by ARRI - they exist!

Uli Meyer

• 5 months later...
  • Premium Member

I'm still getting somewhat giddy when I play with my Arriflex 16 SB Super 16 and the scan returns from the lab. I had a few feet left in the camera and, for the first time, cranked it up to 50 fps. Just had to share this...

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Real film. - There is nothing quite like it is there. Your posted vision looks excellent. It is good that vintage cameras live on instead of going rusty in an attic somewhere.

That butcher work on the filed out gate a few pages back is really quite brutally distressing. The artisans who did the original good work deserved better than to have their pieces munted irrepairably like that.

I have modded a CP16R and a Bolex H16RX5 for Super16mm and live with the offset centre in the viewfinder. For the Bolex, I had an old Fujinon TV-Z zoom which had excellent contrast and covered the wider gate. Some sod stole it.

The CP16R mount could not be easily re-centred so instead I made offset tails for the lenses I was using. I imagine that ARRI would have moved the mount centres in the lens turret outwards to re-centre the lenses. 

A downside of reducing the width of the rail is more unsupported area of film. The old golden rule of "cleanliness is next to godliness" applies. So long as the surfaces are highly polished and kept clean, scratches should not be a problem with rails bearing on the image area. 

• Premium Member
33 minutes ago, Robert Hart said:

I imagine that ARRI would have moved the mount centres in the lens turret outwards to re-centre the lenses. 

The mount centres look identical to the ones on a regular ST. I'm not sure if they re-centered anything.

35 minutes ago, Robert Hart said:

Real film. - There is nothing quite like it is there. Your posted vision looks excellent. It is good that vintage cameras live on instead of going rusty in an attic somewhere.

Thanks Robert! Here is a family outing shot in May; I'm getting used to guessing distances and aperture settings. Filming under overcast UK sky on a beach is like having a large softbox with you at all times.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

That is a photogenic neighbourhood and family subjects and interactions are sweet. Digital sometimes has a problem with a hard sky ( light even overcast ). The ground and subject look fine but the sky, not so much. 

Edited by Robert Hart
error

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Raymond Zrike said:

Those multiple angles of him falling in the dirt pit; you were channeling Michael Bay a bit there haha! Great shots!

My 2 year-old just kept jumping into the pit. Those moments you can't plan for and I was lucky to catch it.

4 hours ago, Mark Dunn said:

Toll!

Danke!

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

we are about to sell a used Arri ST Super 16mm - the camera has been modified by Aaton to especially fit the PL mount - I believe its 1 in 26 in the world : ) It is was owned by renowned film maker Mike Figgis - Loss of sexual innocence - shot by Benoît Delhomme - just about to pop it on ebay - just trying to figure out what it is worth - Any thoughts....

We are about to sell a used Arri ST Super 16mm - the camera has been modified by Aaton to especially fit the PL mount - I believe its 1 in 26 in the world : ) It is was owned by renowned film maker Mike Figgis - Loss of sexual innocence - shot by Benoît Delhomme - just about to pop it on ebay - just trying to figure out what it is worth - Any thoughts....

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The 80mm fronts that were commonly made for those MK I lenses...would that help? Otherwise you could have your machinist turn up a plastic spacer, put a split in it so it will clamp...

Gregg

Edit..sorry, that is in reference to the lens at the bottom of page 1...I lost my way.

Edited by Gregg MacPherson