Any ideas what happened here..(16mm has come back looking like its got a red filter)?

jack layfield

Just got this film back from the lab and it looks like its been shot with a red filter.

Was shot on Eclair ACL with schneider-kreuznach variogon 18-90mm f2 

Have spoken with the lab and they said no error reports so just a bit confused why this wouldve happened, if anyone has any insights would be much appreciated.

Thanks 

40 minutes ago, Gregory Irwin said:

Am I wrong? It appears that you are projecting the negative which would make sense for the red. 

G

So having the film the wrong way? I thought that but it can only be lead through the sprockets and im pretty sure the emulsion was on the correct side. 

• Premium Member
40 minutes ago, jack layfield said:

So having the film the wrong way? I thought that but it can only be lead through the sprockets and im pretty sure the emulsion was on the correct side. 

Have you uploaded the scan file of your film as you've received it from the lab? It looks like you filmed it off a monitor or projected onto a wall. Very odd.

Edited by Uli Meyer

Was this fresh film or some short end? I'm asking, because that really does look like it was exposed through the back, compare to these: https://microsites.lomography.com/redscalefilm/ Yours has same color and the under exposed look.

With single perf 16mm it shouldn't be possible unless you had different winding. But if it's some short end or Aaton Minima film... Still, I'd think you'd notice if it wasn't the lighter emulsion side you saw when checking the gate. Quite weird.

• Premium Member
49 minutes ago, Heikki Repo said:

Was this fresh film or some short end? I'm asking, because that really does look like it was exposed through the back, compare to these: https://microsites.lomography.com/redscalefilm/ Yours has same color and the under exposed look.

With single perf 16mm it shouldn't be possible unless you had different winding. But if it's some short end or Aaton Minima film... Still, I'd think you'd notice if it wasn't the lighter emulsion side you saw when checking the gate. Quite weird.

That would be my guess; either short ends wound incorrectly to a spool or a magazine somehow loaded incorrectly...

• Premium Member

I don't know how you'd mis-load a single perf roll of film, the sprocket can only be on one side with single perf. So it seems highly highly highly unlikely, but yes these are the results you'd get if you shot through the backing side instead of the emulsion side. I just can't think of how you'd do it. No cameras I know can be threaded backwards like that. 

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, jack layfield said:

I’m suggesting that you are projecting the actual negative instead of the positive print. Either that or the film stock is a bad batch. 

Was your scene a day exterior or night? The red on the negative would be blue on the positive. If the film was loaded backwards, there would be numerous other problems. Focus would be soft, exposure would be completely off and the image would just look bad. 

G

Edited by Gregory Irwin

• Premium Member

for me the most logical explanation would be that if the stock was a short end, it was not 500T 7219 at all but probably some lower sensitivity daylight balanced stock like 250D (7207). So could it have been just incorrectly marked 250D which everyone though was 500T and then you shot it with 85 filter which would have been good with the tungsten balanced 500T but lead to the underexposed reddish orange look when used on lower sensitivity daylight balanced 250D ?  

to me the typical light leak on the film edges and sprockets due to the daylight spool looks relatively normal. If there would be something wrong with the film itself the light leaks would look much weirder and more off colour I think

It was 100% 500T shot without any filter. It wasn't a short end, it was 100ft wound and then rewound back on and i had to do this twice as the first time the it didn't feed through as the sprockets and emulsion where on the wrong side. 

It got processed at cinelab and scanned at on8mil and no one said anything before sending the file back to me. Really baffled right now.

• Premium Member

Seems pretty clearly shot through the back of the film ie redscale.

Rewinding twice it could happen.

I’ve done it with reversal and it was still sharp, these redscale films on 16mm neg are sometimes fairly sharp, and look similar:

I think whether it loses focus or not would depend on the focal length and f stop.

• Premium Member

I would imagine it being very easy to detect a colour negative film being back side out because the remjet side is black coloured and does not look like emulsion at all.  

I have once made the base side out mistake with ektachrome colour reversal film which does not have black remjet layer but films with remjet are so easy to detect that it would really be a "haven't slept in three days" type of mistake ?