48/96 Channel Light Board

Amber Rout

20 hours ago, Phil Rhodes said:

That's kind of a broad question. Do you have any information on what it'll be used for, the kind of venues it'll be in, what you want to do with it?

Quite honestly, not 100% sure yet. It's really just something I've been interested in for a few years and I'd really like to dabble in lighting just a bit more. I've done plenty of work with it in the past but the board I used to use has some very different functions than the one I will be using in my film class as, I'm pretty sure the current one is a bit older, I'm looking for a make that's somewhat similar but maybe not quite as expensive... I'm only a student after all.

-A 

The old style two preset 48/96 channel boards are pretty irrelevant as LED fixtures become more and more complex, and use more and more channels. I own a handful of these desks, and they have all been gathering dust for the last few years. The preset desks, while they will work, just aren’t particularly suitable.

Even on smaller jobs that may have previously been 36-48 channels you can now easily be needing 1-2 universes to control (1 universe = 512 channels) a set.

I would consider checking out Luminair or even better Blackout- it’s a great lighting console app for iPads designed for film and tv. It’s a really good ‘small-mid scale’ solution. 

There are plenty of free software console that will be OK for controlling a few fixtures. Film lighting does not require the same level of direct access to controls as live performance since you usually do not fire 100+ cues in a single hour. Personally, I like MagicQ, although the learning curve is a bit steep.