Corverting an SR3 eyepiece to the SR1/2 mount

Danilo Pitrelli

Hi everyone. I was wondering if it could be optically possible to adapt an SR3 original eyepiece, designed to cover the super16 format, to an Arriflex SR1 (super16 converted) viewfinder. Do anyone know if it could be relatively easy to replace the sr3 eyepiece's mount and eventually recycling an old sr1 eyepiece's mount to let it compatible with that? What problems should I face and how could I do? Thanks

• Premium Member

I don’t think it’s optically compatible even if you could somehow adapt the mating section. 

Arri were pretty good at trying to make things retrofittable, the SR 1 and 2 eyepieces were compatible with many other Arri cameras - 2C, 16S, 16BL, first 35BL models - but for the SR3 and 435/535 they totally redesigned the viewfinder optics, making earlier eyepieces incompatible (or so I understand). I imagine if there was a way to still utilise the older eyepieces or extension viewfinders they would have tried.

It’s hard to believe in this era that companies might try hard to minimise the cost for their customers by making earlier versions of accessories still compatible with later ones. A 1938 magazine made for the first Arriflex 35 can still work on a 435 from the 90s or a 235 made in the 2000s for example. Arri Standard mount lenses could still be fitted to Arri Bayonet mount cameras, and Bayonet mount lenses can be easily adapted to PL because Arri kept their 52.00 mm flange depth standard for all those years.  Today’s CEOs would chortle at the naivety and lost income opportunities.