Steenbeck projection problem

Neal Scanlan

Hello,

This is my first topic so hopefully I have done it right.

I am restoring a 35mm Steenbeck and have hit upon a problem, the image on the screen is vertical. As you can see from the photograph there is the rotating prism, standard lens and an anamorphic lens. There is no other prism/mirror arrangement other than the two mirrors in the shroud which bounce the image to the screen. I think I am missing a part or am I being dumb and missing something else?

Can anyone help or has an image/description of what rotates the image to horizontal?

B4611F5A-61AE-4DC5-9CB8-77C37FEF035D.jpeg.421bbb62482ea2c1cdb408ce1d86b462.jpeg

• Premium Member

Wish your photo was larger...

How about a larger photo of the top along with a shot of the Steenbeck tag on one of the rear legs; that will give us a model number and series.

This looks like a modified Steenbeck for... not sure.  It might be a very rare beast.

Do you see just one frame projected in the viewer? 

Wondering if it might be a Vistavision flatbed;  if you see two frames, it might be...

Edited by Frank Wylie
clarification

Hello,

I contacted Steenbeck themselves and they were very helpful. There is a mirror unit missing. The image is rotated through 4 mirrors in front of the lenses shown in the photograph.

I am able to engineer this assembly, I believe these parts for the unit are no longer available.

IMG_2148.JPG

• Like 1