Am I the Spoiled Brat?

Sup cinematography.com imma get a little personal here if y'all don't mind.

I am currently in the Philippines and am so decided on taking the Film course here at the University of the Philippines. Truth be told, the entertainment industry of the Philippines as a whole is dying and honestly, my job security after graduation is pretty rough as well. That said, I love this country; I love it so much because it may be a shxthole, but it is my shxthole (mods please have mercy).

Basically I'm a nationalist and I want to further cinema here in the Philippines; that is until my family is currently pressuring me to go to Australia (Sydney Film School); they have all the bells and whistles and anyone in my position would take this opportunity had it been given to them; however, it is not the Philippines. It's not the same for me.

cinematography.com, let me know your thoughts. I want to stay here despite the political instability and job insecurity, however idk I feel like I'm just not in control of my life man and I can't make decisions for myself and I have to follow my family's orders once again. Am I the Spoiled Brat?

Edited by Joshua Robert Dy

I mean, just understand that if furthering the cinema industry on behalf of an entire nation is your goal, you need to be already noticeably talented before film school for any hope of doing that. Saying that is essentially saying you have a plan on being the next Tarantino... And even then Tarantino got recognized because he was already in SoCal.

I used to think being in a small pond area would make my career come up less competitive and more meaningful but the reality was opportunities were practically non-existent. That was in one of the 10 most populated cities in America, I could only imagine a film career just in the Philippines would be exponentially harder. 

29 minutes ago, Max Field said:

I could only imagine a film career just in the Philippines would be exponentially harder. 

That's a fair point Max! The grass is definitely greener over at Sydney, but I guess I still feel compelled to stay here in the Philippines because I'm hoping to learn something intangible from going through hardships, but thinking about it, it may just be wishful thinking. Thanks brother Max I'll be keeping your advice in mind.

• Premium Member

If your plan is to help further the cinema in the Philippines and the prospects are dire, you may want to consider going anywhere that offers you to learn as much about the subject film as possible. The world is your oyster, especially if you have family that supports you in your plans. Once you are equipped with the knowledge you seek and have gained experience and connections, you can always go back home and see what you can do. Broadening your horizon beyond your country's borders can only be beneficial.

11 minutes ago, Uli Meyer said:

Once you are equipped with the knowledge you seek and have gained experience and connections, you can always go back home and see what you can do. Broadening your horizon beyond your country's borders can only be beneficial.

I have gone through a bit of a deepthink and I realized that while I may be away from my country, I could still very much bring these patriotic sentiments along with me wherever I go (sorry that was cheesy as hell). Also, I guess taking this less risky option would give my parents a sense of assuredness of my job security in the future. I just kinda feel bad because I'm in a pretty privileged position not everyone in my country could afford; so for this reason, I will work my ass off to pay it back to my country.

Uli thanks my man for your advice

OP...you can't have everything. Do as you like. You outlined the problems. Better have a 'plan B' so you don't end up homeless.

(I think homeless is a bad word now. The powers that be want you to use 'houseless.' But I don't care. I don't adopt their language or rules.)

Good luck!

InTheShadowOfCityHall2015DanielD.TeoliJr

In the Shadow of City Hall  L.A. 2015 by D.D.Teoli Jr.

Shot through my rental car windshield while driving to the airport.

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

15 hours ago, Joshua Robert Dy said:

I'm hoping to learn something intangible from going through hardships, but thinking about it, it may just be wishful thinking.

To use a physics analogy, the calculation of "work" in physics might best describe why it could entirely back fire. A man exerting all of his energy pushing against an immovable brick wall would end up equating to zero work accomplished despite how much effort he put in. A little girl picking up a pencil exerts zero effort though technically she accomplished far more technical work than the man grunting while pushing that wall.

The only people filmmaking isn't hard for are kids with rich producer parents. There is no point in adding on further weight to the burden.

6 hours ago, Daniel D. Teoli Jr. said:

Better have a 'plan B' so you don't end up homeless.

Thanks for the heads up Daniel; I'm preparing my tent in advance!

AVvXsEgfToDU0icx-U4MAytX0NyThznG_jKZm3iX

I'm just kidding; thanks Daniel I am now strongly leaning towards taking this Australia route because it really is the safer option than the omegadirehopeless situation here in the Philippines.

2 hours ago, Max Field said:

There is no point in adding on further weight to the burden.

Brother Max, the profundity of this analogy shook me. Also, yeah it's just kinda sad there is not much equality of opportunity especially in this garbageheap of a country, but that's life for ya. I had thought that I would be able to cultivate from said hardships, but there is no need nor point to do that because in reality it would just hamper with my progress. I guess I just feel obliged now to give back because I've been so blessed man.

Thank you brother Max again for sharing a nugget of your galaxybrain knowledge and thank you everyone for your cool insights!

Hey, no one said you can't go home to visit in the Philippines.

captain-of-wall-street-90014-copyright-1

Cold water flat - Captain of Wall Street 90014 L.A. 1974 - D.D.Teoli Jr.

In the old days 1970's and earlier, you could get cold water flats that were next to nothing in NYC and L.A.. Like $65 a month. You had a room and a sink (to pee in) and the communal bathroom was down the hall. But those days are over. They outlawed them for zoning. 

They got PODs now, but they are pricey. 

Pod Life D. D. Teoli Jr. 10m 10s : D.D. Teoli Jr. as archivist : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Whatever direction you take...great luck on achieving your dreams! 

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.