in-camera zoom vs post zoom

kato wong

• Premium Member

Depends on how much of a zoom-in there is… a very short and slow one, the post digital zoom will look more “perfect” in the move, it’s hard to start a super-slow creeping zoom flawlessly with a motor on a zoom lens. Not impossible though.

But at some point, the more you zoom-in, the post digital zoom will show artifacts — if it is something shot on film, the grain will be getting larger, and whether shot on film or digital, the resolution will be dropping.

• Premium Member

Post zoom's can be smoother, but the only way to really make them work is if you have really good glass AND a very high resolution source like an 8k or 12k camera in a 4k timeline. You can zoom in around 150% without too much degradation. If you want to zoom more, you'll have to do it on set. 

As others mentioned, the feel will be smoother and the resolution drop and grain grow more with post zooms.

I also notice the depth of field getting shallower or feeling shallower with optical zooms vs post zooms.

I think it's a pretty subjective choice what you can get away with if that's what you're wondering. If you're looking for tell-tell signs, smoothness, increasing grain size, and for me the depth of field not feeling shallower (or bokeh not being bigger perhaps is a more accurate way of putting this technically) is another sign on a long enough zoom.

Sometimes you'll also get shifting distortion characteristics over the zoom range in an optical zoom.