Harry Potter & The Prisoner of Azkaban: How the look of the 'shrieking shack scene' was created?

imran qureshi

Here is the full scene:  

I really like the separation between the skin and the green surroundings as seen here;

38404490_Screenshot2021-12-27at15_51.07-2.jpg.19b9bba0ae981adf26220eea27ed2617.jpg

1411152474_Screenshot2021-12-27at15_49_08.jpg.280e885c1eb5fe9006c970055e54d91e.jpg

I know there are many ways to achieve this but I'm wondering if anyone can give their opinions on if they think this was done with production design/grade/light or a mixture of all of them in this instance?

I would have assumed that there is some underexposed uncorrected daylight source outside the windows creeping in and then they have keyed the actors with a soft source that is closer in kelvin to whatever the camera is rated at. The uncorrected daylight is then shifted green in the grade. This look is also reinforced by the production design because the walls probably has a green tint anyway.

However,

There are a lot of images I have found on google from this scene with a completely different look. I don't know if the film has more than one colour grade because I can't find any information to confirm that. 

It doesn't look like the production design itself has much green, more warm brown colours. I also can't really tell if there is a different in colour temperature between the subjects and their surroundings or not? 

1240067786_Screenshot2021-12-27at18_41.43-2.jpg.654a82f59e16e1b48b903f4ce433e95e.jpg

WB_F3_TheShriekingShackInt._HarrySiriusLupinInShack_C495-21_UP_HPE3.jpg.5bb7fbe765033fa6d1990cc4f7261afb.jpg

This may be unhelpful but this is the only behind the scenes I could find from this scene, it shows some of the lighting but they aren't very good pictures I'm afraid;

1340122972_Screenshot2021-12-27at18_22_49.jpg.2d2ffab11793c377cbd11b5cd55f82dc.jpg

211373567_Screenshot2021-12-27at18_22_16.jpg.5b1c1e2c49f35a654d4355771b8b5a12.jpg

Love to know any thoughts on how this look was achieved. Thanks!

• Premium Member

I’m sure there is some green in the paint job - green is one of those colors that turn olive brown in warm light / timing, but cyan in cool light / timing. It also has the advantage of being opposite the magenta in skin tones so easy to separate when digitally color-correcting.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, David Mullen ASC said:

I’m sure there is some green in the paint job - green is one of those colors that turn olive brown in warm light / timing, but cyan in cool light / timing. It also has the advantage of being opposite the magenta in skin tones so easy to separate when digitally color-correcting.

Thanks David!

Do you reckon that they have purposefully lit the actors with light that is closer in kelvin to whatever the camera is rated at and left the background to go blue/uncorrected?

or 

Do you reckon they have have just lit the entire scene with cool light and then separated the green in the set design from the magenta skin tones and accentuated the difference in the grade?

Cheers!

• Premium Member

It was shot on tungsten balanced color negative and being on stage, likely tungsten light was used, but I don’t know if any blue gels were used to cool off the light. “Sleepy Hollow” for example shot a lot under tungsten space lights and added the coolness in post timing.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, David Mullen ASC said:

It was shot on tungsten balanced color negative and being on stage, likely tungsten light was used, but I don’t know if any blue gels were used to cool off the light. “Sleepy Hollow” for example shot a lot under tungsten space lights and added the coolness in post timing.

Thanks!