Foggy woods

Craig Benson

• Premium Member

I love the location and envy you having access to it. That being said, I would like to ask a question...

Did you take stills or actual video? This looks like a slideshow of still images and any movement present looks like a slow digital pan. Therefore, I would have liked to see more movement. Also, I personally would prefer this in black and white as opposed to the brown haze. I see this scene as having the potential for a powerful horror/thriller setting instead of a slow and serene setting but that is just me.

Your framing is good though so I will give credit there. The constant dissolves were distracting to me though and didn't feel very cinematic (if that is what you were going for. And I realize the term "cinematic" is cliche at this point but I really didn't know what else to say...maybe "movielike"?)

Edited by Matthew W. Phillips
misspelling
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Matthew W. Phillips said:

I love the location and envy you having access to it. That being said, I would like to ask a question...

Did you take stills or actual video? This looks like a slideshow of still images and any movement present looks like a slow digital pan. Therefore, I would have liked to see more movement. Also, I personally would prefer this in black and white as opposed to the brown haze. I see this scene as having the potential for a powerful horror/thriller setting instead of a slow and serene setting but that is just me.

Your framing is good though so I will give credit there. The constant dissolves were distracting to me though and didn't feel very cinematic (if that is what you were going for. And I realize the term "cinematic" is cliche at this point but I really didn't know what else to say...maybe "movielike"?)

Thanks for the feedback! 
It is video, but I shot at a higher frame rate so I could convert the footage to slow motion, so I can see why they seem like photos ? I regret not adding more movement into it to be honest. 

Thanks for the comments regards my framing, that means a lot ?

4 minutes ago, Phil Rhodes said:

I should have said, it's very nice stuff. I remember (in about 2001) when I bought my first real camera and took it out to a local country park, it was a morning like that.

Thank you! It’s hard to beat foggy mornings isn’t it.

It was a great way to spend a couple of hours with a camera ?

31 minutes ago, Matthew W. Phillips said:

Forgive me but I had to play...the setting was just too nice and I don't have anything like that out here.

foggy_2.1.1.png

Wow, It does look really great in black and white! 

The woods are on my doorstep. I started to take them for granted, but sometimes I get reminded of just how beautiful they are. 

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Craig Benson said:

Wow, It does look really great in black and white! 

The woods are on my doorstep. I started to take them for granted, but sometimes I get reminded of just how beautiful they are. 

47 minutes ago, Phil Rhodes said:

Jeez, that looks like something out of The Lighthouse. Paging @Jarin Blaschke!

Those woods are so inspiring...and in your backyard no less. One of you want to let me crash at your place for a bit so I can shoot my horror film there? Maybe one of you fine chaps can shoot it for me too. ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I really love these frames and definitely could see them as a living photo style installation piece. Would have been really interested to see something like this on a remote dolly, and key framed to move a foot or two over like 3 minutes. 

Curious, did you use some sort of image stabilization on any of the clips? Noticed a slightly weird kind of warping on the outer edges when I was watching it. 

Fun work overall!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...