Shooting on film - Kodak 500T 7219

Wow!  I love the look of this film stock!  This is a shot from my new film COIFFEUR EXTRAORDINAIRE - WAITING FOR LEGROS.  This film is a spinoff of my graphic novel BOB: NON-UNION PSYCHIC - THE BIG BOOK OF BOB VOL. 1., which is is out now!  warehouse9pro.com.

This film stock is very reliable and forgiving.  I used daylight lighting and had an 85 filter on the lens.  The shot has been color corrected, but not color graded to my liking just yet.  FILM ROCKS!

CE_WFL Freddi Solano as The Servant

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

Yep, 19' has been around since 2007, it's the oldest emulsion in the Vision 3 catalog. It's actually already been replaced by a new formula, but for some reason Kodak has not released it. Maybe due to staffing issues as their chief stock developer quit the company prior to covid. 

It's a very good stock, has really good highlight retention (more than the other vision 3 stocks actually) which means you can over expose a bit and help lift your middle grey's up to get some detail in the black areas. I've personally pushed the stock really hard in very dark situations and always been satisfied with the results. 

Another really great stock is 13' 200T. I've been shooting with it more and more, even outside with an 85 filter, it's super crisp. I can generally light to make 200T work indoors too, it's not that difficult. It's a beautiful fine grain stock that delivers excellent highlight retention, but has a different look than 500T. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lance Lucero said:

Wow!  I love the look of this film stock! 

I really like the 'raw' look of the frame you posted. It has that 1980s/90s look to it. That's a clue for those who wish to replicate that look & feel.

Just for the sake of a casual comparison, Eyes Wide Shut was shot on 5298 (that hasn't been made for 20 years). Beautiful stuff. 5219 is technically better but otherwise I don't have a preference.

5 hours ago, Tyler Purcell said:

Yep, 19' has been around since 2007, it's the oldest emulsion in the Vision 3 catalog. It's actually already been replaced by a new formula, but for some reason Kodak has not released it.

You have my undivided attention.

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, Karim D. Ghantous said:

You have my undivided attention.

Little known secret, it was used on Dunkirk. It's 1000 ISO. Not sure what scenes they used it on, but there are some pretty dark scenes on that movie and I had a friend on set who verified they had a bunch of it cut for 70mm. There was another movie that used a 35mm cut batch, I got a picture of the can somewhere on my system, but finding it has been tough, I've been looking. 

So it's done... but the delay on release, not sure why honestly. It's been around for a long time. 

• Like 1

I had a 4 on my light meter, but I opened it to 2.8 because I had the 85 filter on the camera.  I had two 10,000 (daylight) lumen shop lights placed about 12 ft. away from the performer and one 1,000 (daylight) lumen bulb overhead for fill.  I was about 4 ft. away from the performer filming with a zoom lens.

Scanned at 2k.

I am very pleased with this image.  Great detail!  You can see the whites of her eyes clearly.  Blacks are blacks, whites are whites, no milky or muddiness.  Film rocks!