WTB: Super 16 primes (Zeiss, Optar Elite, Illumina, Optex)

Fedor Karpenko

Hey everyone! I'm getting a super 16 camera in the near future and am in the market for some lenses, preferably something more budget friendly. Does anyone have any primes they're looking to get rid of? Ideally looking for a set of 3 fast lenses, something like a 7mm, 16mm, and 25mm.

Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Jefta Varwijk said:

curious whether you found anything yet and if so, whether you liked it ?

Bought a set of Optar Illuminas! Love them, just sent them out to get serviced since the mechanism on all of them needs to be greased. Seems like they just sat in a case for a decade or so and all the lubricant has dried up. Otherwise they look great, here's a little test I shot with my buddy: (Note: the vignetting you see on some shots is from the screw-on ND's we were stacking in front of the lens)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Fedor Karpenko said:

Bought a set of Optar Illuminas! Love them, just sent them out to get serviced since the mechanism on all of them needs to be greased. Seems like they just sat in a case for a decade or so and all the lubricant has dried up. Otherwise they look great, here's a little test I shot with my buddy: (Note: the vignetting you see on some shots is from the screw-on ND's we were stacking in front of the lens)

I love it! and also, that sky... Amazing. Super nice that you tested both wide open and 2.8. Wide open still looks pretty good, have to say. How did you like it? Would you use it wide open at all?

Did a see a pretty heavy blue shift at the 50mm?
And may i ask what price range you ended up spending on?

7 hours ago, Jefta Varwijk said:

I love it! and also, that sky... Amazing. Super nice that you tested both wide open and 2.8. Wide open still looks pretty good, have to say. How did you like it? Would you use it wide open at all?

Did a see a pretty heavy blue shift at the 50mm?
And may i ask what price range you ended up spending on?

I think some of them are defeinitely pretty good wide open! The 8mm was pretty soft wode open though so probably will do T2 maximum. Blue shift might be from the eyepiece being open and flaring the shot ?

My friend and I paid $5000 for the full set, we're also probably going to end up paying just over $1000 to service them so somewhere arpund $6k total for a fully serviced set ?

Where are you getting the Optar Illuminas serviced? Thinking about buying one or two myself, but it seems most of them need to be CLAed these days. Also, are you aware of if their were different versions of the Illuminas? Hard to find info online (unlike the the differences between Zeiss Super Speed versions which is well documented).

1 hour ago, Raymond Zrike said:

Where are you getting the Optar Illuminas serviced? Thinking about buying one or two myself, but it seems most of them need to be CLAed these days. Also, are you aware of if their were different versions of the Illuminas? Hard to find info online (unlike the the differences between Zeiss Super Speed versions which is well documented).

At Serious Gear in Seattle! Charles worked for Lumatech for a very long time so he knows all of their lenses super well. There have been different versions of the super 16 Illuminas, I think the older version has the "Optar" engraving on the lens and the newer version has the "Illumina" engraving. Although you should speak to Charles, he can answer basically any question you could possibly have about those lenses.

On 1/31/2022 at 5:19 PM, Fedor Karpenko said:

I think some of them are defeinitely pretty good wide open! The 8mm was pretty soft wode open though so probably will do T2 maximum. Blue shift might be from the eyepiece being open and flaring the shot ?

My friend and I paid $5000 for the full set, we're also probably going to end up paying just over $1000 to service them so somewhere arpund $6k total for a fully serviced set ?

6k for a full set incl service sounds really great, also the fact that you have a set of 5... I'm eying a set of 4 (superspeedsmk2's) for 7500 euro. but then a set of 4. Do you happen to know whether the s16mm mk2 line also has a 32mm or 50mm that i should be able to find?

41 minutes ago, Jefta Varwijk said:

6k for a full set incl service sounds really great, also the fact that you have a set of 5... I'm eying a set of 4 (superspeedsmk2's) for 7500 euro. but then a set of 4. Do you happen to know whether the s16mm mk2 line also has a 32mm or 50mm that i should be able to find?

Yes there is a Zeiss Super Speed 50mm for super 16, only Mk II or III. Pretty rare though from my experience.

14 hours ago, Jefta Varwijk said:

Set of 6 actually ? 8, 9.5, 12, 16, 25, 50. Yeah super happy with the deal we got!

• Like 1