Persona (1966) - Bergman, shot by Sven Nykvist (Amazon Prime)

• Premium Member

Treat yourselves and rewatch PERSONA by Ingmar Bergman. There is always a generation of people who have not seen it yet.

Personally, this shot blows me away every time and in general......yes, its all be said a million times but why not again......the 4:3 framing, lighting etc from the Bergman/Nykvist dream team using BW film stock in my year of birth 1966 with its rich, deep blacks and exquisite shadow details just laughs in the face of modern tech.

If anyone knows what film stock they used on their Mitchell BNC cameras with spherical lenses (which?) much appreciated if you let us know.

Bergman_persona.jpg

Edited by Stephen Perera
  • Like 1

• Stephen Perera changed the title to Persona (1966) - Bergman, shot by Sven Nykvist (Amazon Prime)
  • Premium Member

Bergman said that although he had an idea of what the story meant, he would not share it because he felt that his audience should draw its own conclusions. He hoped the "film would be felt rather than understood."

....seems Christopher Nolan has borrowed a line from Bergman for the magnificent TENET.

Edited by Stephen Perera

• Premium Member

I'm not part of the crowd in thinking this is an intellectual masterpiece.....I think you have to be of the time to realise the impact it may have had......same with Citizen Kane......my love of it is with the cinematography.....the 4:3 format and BW film stock, the texture, the greyscale, the tones, the lighting, and the framing of human faces.....masterful

Edited by Stephen Perera