CP16R lenses and lens adaptations

Aapo Lettinen

• Premium Member

I am just experimenting with adapting the Meteor 5-1 zoom to the CP16R mount because I figured out a way it should be possible (removing the Krasnogorsk mount and some other parts from the lens and superglueing the back element in place to make up for the removed locking ring of it)  .

The biggest issue with the Cinema Products cameras nowadays seems to be the lack of good lenses like pointed out in other threads.

I think this would be a good thread to collect the possible lens modification tips and mount adapting choices for the CP16R cameras.

I have heard that the camera is possible to modify to EF mount and the PL mount is offered at least by the Visual Products. I have made some tests and it is definitely possible to adapt the CP16R to the B4 mount to allow it to use very affordable ENG zoom lenses.

• Premium Member

the Meteor zoom might become very useful as a low-budget filmmaking tool if I get it working correctly. It is a tight fit but it seems to focus to infinity and clear the shutter when superglue modified. It is a very affordable lens and it looks like the modification would be possible to do at home if having the new mount readily machined so that only the assembling needs to be done with home tools.

I have a lathe here so will make a test mount when having time and will publish the procedure and dimensions if I get it working correctly ?

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

the CP16 mount quickly fitted on the Meteor 5-1 using aluminium foil tape and hot glue, with the rear element glued in place with superglue to keep it on the lens when the locking ring of it was removed.

It seems to be working correctly with the camera so I can say this is a possible lens alternative for the CP16R on low budget shoots. As said in the previous posts, the rear element comes very very close to the viewfinder optics and one needs to take the locking ring of the rear element off to get the lens seated correctly. The rear element assembly needs to be glued in place with superglue to keep it on the lens. 

But when the original CP16R lenses are pretty much non-existent nowadays and the cheapest possible Arri mount Angenieux zoom combo would cost something from 700usd upwards, this Meteor mashup is pretty affordable, being maybe 120usd if you get the CP16 mount from somewhere. Even if having to purchase the mount separately (like a Arri S to CP16 adapter used here) it would still be under 200usd and you can always get better lenses later when having more budget ?  

the main goal is to get to shoot with the camera no matter how weird the rig looks like, right?  even a hot glued setup like this would allow it. For camera collectors it would be better to just wait 10 years to maybe get lucky to see some very expensive original lens for the CP16 ?

51871528743_1047b6d7a5_k.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

There were a couple of Nikon F-Mount adaptors for the CP16R so it could be used with photo-journo's lenses if the zoom lens was damaged. The version I have consists of an F-Mount on front and the CP tail on the rear and a planar glass element which apparently moved the flange face forward optically to make more workspace within the adaptor. The flange faces are 12.5mm separated. Doing the math on the flange to focal plane distances of Nikon F-Mount and CP-Mount, the difference is closer to about 5.7mm which would be insufficient workspace to make everything including the latchpin to fit. A Canon EF-Mount would not be doable as an adaptor without an optical element in it to move the EF-Mount flange face significantly forward. Your solution for the Meteor lens may look rough and ready but definitely does the job. The tails for the CP Ultra T* lenses had an internal diameter of 44.0mm which stepped down to 33.5mm. 

Edited by Robert Hart