Very lucky to have acquired a super rare 3 color carbro print

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

s-l1600.jpg

Carbro print of Contance Towers

eBay photo - Fair Use

Before dye transfer, carbro was it for outstanding color and permanence. Been looking for a carbro for 4 years+ . Finally found one last week. It is gorgeous color, printed in 1959. I plan to color test it for fade resistance later in 2022 when sun comes out after the winter. I hate to cut it, but it has to be done for the greater good.

Trouble with it is...it is a huge 20x24 photo. I've got a large format flatbed scanner, but it only goes to 11 x 17.  They got bigger flatbed scanners, if you got $5k to spend. Anyway, the copy stand and vacuum easel will handle it. I wish I had the dough to buy a Phase One or other top end large format digital camera for my copy stand. 

I believe the print is from newspaper's archive. They would get a big carbro print for color reproduction with the process camera for halftone screening. But that is just speculation. It was wrapped and labelled as such, but the old wrapper did not fit it 100%. The wrapper may have been for something else. It is always detective work, but the longer time goes by, no witnesses are to be found to ask.

I've been around photography since the late 60's. I've never seen a carbro print in person until now. They have a certain look to them that are unique to carbro when you view them from various angles.  Also see the corners for the color registration overlaps on the bottom left and right corners.

If you are interested in the 3 color printing process, see:

Bob Pace 'The Dye Transfer Process' Parts 1-5 VHS D.D.Teoli Jr. A.C. : D.D.Teoli Jr. A.C. : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Bob Pace 'The Dye Transfer Process' Parts 6-11 VHS D.D.Teoli Jr. A.C. : D.D.Teoli Jr. A.C. : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

They are for dye transfer. But it is similar to carbro as far as color separations. 

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.