Magnasync synchronous magnetic film recorder

Shilo frombach

3 hours ago, Duncan Brown said:

I'm going to guess they have one for sale but don't know how much to ask.

Duncan

Thank you kind man.

I recently inherited this machine from my grandpa when he passed away.

The very little I could find online about this item did very little to help me understand what it's full worth is.

What I do know is for 1000 dollars in 1950 you could have 17000+ today at about the same worth.

I know it was a good product, as magnetic film recorders, were top of the line in their days.

I know this same item is held in various museums.

I know that it is in overall decent shape for surviving 70 years on this planet.

It was for theatres to put sound on film.

All in all I know this item was one of innovation and we'll sought after or dreamed about in the film industry. I would like an honest answer to how much one might be worth, and am open to reasonable offers

• Premium Member

Here's a set of sell sheets someone scanned for that era Magnasync products!  Pretty fascinating. 

https://archive.org/details/TNM_Magnasync_X-400_series_recorders_16mm_synchro_20170710_0444

The problem is, of course, that nobody is recording sound onto mag-stripe 16mm film any more, not the least of which is because it hasn't been made in eons.  So a museum is about the only place that this would be of any use, and only then just to look cool while representing some long-obsolete technology.  (I say this not to be mean, it's just the hard truth.  I am a completely irrational fanatic about obtaining and using obsolete technologies, but this one is too much of a stretch even for me.)

Duncan