DSLR is being phased out...it will be all mirrorless now.

https://www.redsharknews.com/the-dslr-is-now-dead?

I used to like DSLR's for sports. But I don't shoot sports anymore, so won't miss it. What about you? 

I know this is a topic like film vs digital. Each camp got their own likes. What I always wanted was a M43 digital rangefinder that was a Leica clone, was all manual and the size of the old Olympus half-frame cameras. If it did 2K that would be great!

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

I moved to mirrorless years ago - maybe 2012, 2013. I will have to check. Of course in those days, they weren't suitable for everything. But I could see the future already. There was denial, of course, but I have seen that script before. Remember Macromedia Flash?

The DSLR finally died completely with the introduction of the Sony A9. The A9 isn't an ideal choice for anything except the subjects it was designed for. That's a fact. But, it can do things that even the D6 cannot, and the D6 is a newer camera.

• Premium Member

I don't even really have a good DSLR, our still camera is a old Rebel 2 35mm camera, works great. 

We do want to buy a DSLR, mainly because I just like the way the optical path is for the viewfinder, don't much care for Digital viewfinders. 

The mirrorless cameras are cool, but there just is nothing satisfying about them. Every one I've used from the A7R to the GH5, have all been horrible cameras, nothing like the big ol' Canon 5D MKIV for instance. Complicated menu's, difficult manual adjustments, piss poor ergonomics, worthless viewfinders, etc. I just don't understand how anyone can use them, but I guess the quietness is more important? 

Edited by Tyler Purcell

Interesting take, Tyler. I have four mirrorless bodies, the best being an E-M5 II and an E-M1 II. The 5 is compact and has okay ergonomics. The 1 is just the right size for a pro camera, and has near-perfect ergonomics. So mirrorless systems let you choose your size-ergonomics balance.

I'd prefer to shoot a 300mm on an Olympus than a 600mm on a Sony. And yes, quietness matters. I can see a future where the press will not be allowed to use cameras that make noises. If your'e shooting golf, you will get better images with an A9 than with any DSLR.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Karim D. Ghantous said:

I have four mirrorless bodies, the best being an E-M5 II and an E-M1 II. The 5 is compact and has okay ergonomics. The 1 is just the right size for a pro camera, and has near-perfect ergonomics. So mirrorless systems let you choose your size-ergonomics balance.

Yea, but not full frame? 20MP on the E-M1 MKII, doesn't that seem low for 2022? 

2 hours ago, Karim D. Ghantous said:

I'd prefer to shoot a 300mm on an Olympus than a 600mm on a Sony. And yes, quietness matters. I can see a future where the press will not be allowed to use cameras that make noises. If your'e shooting golf, you will get better images with an A9 than with any DSLR.

Well that is true, if all you care about is long lenses, then the smaller imager doesn't affect ya,  it benefits you. 

But personally for me, there is nothing like a large imager. Being able to use a 50mm lens to shoot a portrait is something ya just can't do with a smaller imager. There is a look that goes along with that, which is the whole reason I carry a still camera. Otherwise, my iPhone is a FAR more compact and better camera system. Sure it doesn't have zoom, but that's coming in 2023. 

I agree tho, I think mirrorless is the way to go for compactness, sound and simplicity, but they are not "satisfying" cameras to use. They are one level up from an iPhone in use and it just sucks. We're debating buying one of the newer canon mirrorless instead of the 5D MKIV, but it's a tossup. I want the MKIV because it's kind of the staple camera and it will work with all of our lenses/accessories natively, plus all the mechanical/optical advantages as well. But my BF wants to shoot more still life and have a dead silent camera. I don't think the MKIV is a loud camera, maybe for a film set, but not for the press or any sports for that matter. 

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Tyler Purcell said:

The mirrorless cameras are cool, but there just is nothing satisfying about them. Every one I've used from the A7R to the GH5, have all been horrible cameras, nothing like the big ol' Canon 5D MKIV for instance. Complicated menu's, difficult manual adjustments, piss poor ergonomics, worthless viewfinders, etc. I just don't understand how anyone can use them, but I guess the quietness is more important? 

Have you tried out the Fuji X-t line? These arent full frame but, for a stills camera, have a lot of manual controls. Feels very much like an old 35mm stills camera. Menus arent complicated either.

2 hours ago, Tyler Purcell said:

20MP on the E-M1 MKII, doesn't that seem low for 2022? 

20Mpx is easily enough. People are still using the M8 today. And the D4, and so on.

If I want high image quality, I will have to go to medium format. A GFX 50 is the best buy in digital cameras today if image quality is the priority. Having said that, modular MF systems are also good value. They're just bigger and have a flappy mirror. And that's without taking film into account, which does muddy the equation, as I think you might agree.

50mm on an SLR is way too short for a headshot, but long enough for a full body shot. Headshots need over 100mm, probably 135mm. Some portrait photographers like 300mm.

If you think an iPhone is a serious alternative to a mirrorless camera... hoo boy! Even with an optical zoom, no, I don't think so. ?

Matthew, I also like the Fuji XT system. I am still tempted by it. They are better than any 36mm system for most tasks. I love their philosophy and their colour science.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, Karim D. Ghantous said:

20Mpx is easily enough. People are still using the M8 today. And the D4, and so on.

When you reference "people" I assume you mean consumers. The vast majority of consumers know nothing about cameras and do what I do, use their mobile devices to take their pictures. 

I work on a lot of professional photoshoots, we do the BTS work on 16mm for their marketing department. 

They're all Canon 5DMKXX, Mamiya RZ67, Hasselblad 501-503's, EOS 1's and sometimes a fast back like a Polaroid or something like that. We work with what, 6 different photographers and those are the cameras we see. 

When I'm on the road shooting, I may see slight variants... some Nikon SLR's/DSLR's maybe? Sometimes we see unusual cameras like panorama stuff, but I never see the cameras your suggesting in the hands of any professional, ever. 

If I want high image quality, I will have to go to medium format. A GFX 50 is the best buy in digital cameras today if image quality is the priority. Having said that, modular MF systems are also good value. They're just bigger and have a flappy mirror. And that's without taking film into account, which does muddy the equation, as I think you might agree.

That GFX 50 is a neat camera, I saw one when it came out, damn thing is huge, the pictures don't do it justice. I'd still rather have a Mamiya medium format body, if I was going to shoot medium format. There is something about the way those cameras hand hold which is really nice, thinking portrait of course. Nobody in their right mind would use one for long lens stuff. 

50mm on an SLR is way too short for a headshot, but long enough for a full body shot. Headshots need over 100mm, probably 135mm. Some portrait photographers like 300mm.

Sure, that's why canon made the 35-70, that's the "portrait" lens for full frame imagers. We also have a 70-200 and I agree, for head only, that lens works wonders. 

If you think an iPhone is a serious alternative to a mirrorless camera... hoo boy! Even with an optical zoom, no, I don't think so. ?

I mean if you're on a shoot of course not. But the majority of the time, we just want to take pictures. So the iPhone does a great job at that, unless you need a specialty scenario like wildlife. We don't really have much wildlife here in LA, so it's not even on the agenda. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Tyler Purcell said:

When you reference "people" I assume you mean consumers.

By "people" I just meant photographers. Don't get me wrong: there are more photographers using M10's than M8's. I'd be very happy with an M8 or M9, but for one single factor: the shutter mechanism is obnoxious. Otherwise I can live with the limited buffer, or the slow transfer speeds, or the slow frame rate, or the slow image review, or the low res LCD.

I'm a fan of the Mamiyas, but more so the Hasselblad H series, as they are not quite as noisy. If I were a wildlife pro, I'd be trying to make the GFX work for that. I think it can be done.

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, Karim D. Ghantous said:

By "people" I just meant photographers.

If they aren’t paid for their work, they are consumers. They buy cameras to take pictures for themselves. If you’re talking about professionals, that’s a different story. I personally don’t really know very many consumers who shoot still photos with high end cameras. My dad mucked around with it for a while and I guess my boyfriend kinda plays with it as well, but their decision making process has no bearing in reality. Both of them would rather use iphones to take pictures due to ease of use. I’m absolutely a consumer and my extremely nice camera package is rarely used. Probably take 200 pix a year with it and 5000+ with my phone. As a consumer in the world of photography, I just use the easiest tool possible. Whatever is on me all the time works great and that’s my phone.

11 minutes ago, Karim D. Ghantous said:

I'm a fan of the Mamiyas, but more so the Hasselblad H series, as they are not quite as noisy. If I were a wildlife pro, I'd be trying to make the GFX work for that. I think it can be done.

The Mamiyas are nice cameras, especially the later generations. I like them more than the Hasselblad (film of course) because they have many of the modern features, something you need to buy digital to get with Hasselblad.

Edited by Tyler Purcell