Around the World in 80 Days

Completely engrossed in this new BBC series.  Excellent acting all round,  convincing sets and lighting.  Well written and funny !

Now, I only realised a few episodes in that the aspect ratio is not 16:9.  It looks to me 1.85:1.  So this  makes me curious what camera is being used for the show.  Can't find anything on IMDb. Anyone know ?

• Premium Member

https://www.televisual.com/news/behind-the-scenes-around-the-world-in-80-days/

Sony Venice and Sigma FF lenses.

You can shoot all sorts of different aspect ratios on pretty much any camera, but the trend nowadays for this level of production is to use larger sensor cameras like the Venice or Arri LF Mini. These cameras have sensors that are 3:2 and the same size as a FF stills camera - 36mm x 24mm (well the Arri is a little larger). There are various modes you can record in, depending on what you want your final delivery aspect ratio to be, and what your lenses might cover if they are not FF lenses.

Delivering something like 1.85 would crop quite a bit of height, but often recording less than the full sensor resolution allows for higher frame rates. 2:1 is a popular aspect ratio these days.

Thanks Dom for this link. I'd no idea it was shot in Romania and South Africa.  The sets are truly amazing,  I'd assumed a lot was done real location as well, but not so.  And how everyone managed to continue regardless,  following covid....  Amazing achievement.

I see yes,  Sony Venice.  Regarding aspect ratios:  I've often seen 2:1 but not 1.85:1 which is so close to 16:9.  Noticed a thin sliver of black top and bottom of screen.  I was hoping perhaps it might have 35mm ?

• Premium Member

1.85 is a cinema aspect ratio that still get used a lot. It pre-dates 16:9 (1.78) by many decades, I think it was first used back in the 50s but became a dominant cinema standard (especially in the US) in the following decades.  Here's a list of films just from the last few years that were released in 1.85:

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls098546146/

7 hours ago, Dom Jaeger said:

1.85 is a cinema aspect ratio that still get used a lot. It pre-dates 16:9 (1.78) by many decades, I think it was first used back in the 50s but became a dominant cinema standard (especially in the US) in the following decades.  Here's a list of films just from the last few years that were released in 1.85:

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls098546146/

Thanks Dom.  I've always felt 16:9 isn't as satisfying artistically as 1.85:1 or the older squarer ratios.  But we've been through this before in another thread so won't start again ?