Best way to organize/dump ac160 AVCHD footage?

parrish isaacs

Hi everyone! Up until now I've been using media encoder to organize my avchd footage from my ac160 in mp4 files at a high bitrate, but I'm pretty sure I could maybe be getting better quality using a different method? Maybe just dragging and dropping directly out of the card, or a maybe theres a better format to export out of media encoder? Also sorry if this is in the wrong part of the forum I'm new here!

Thanks

Parrish 

I'm confused...

Are you wishing to offload media from the card and transcode media?

In terms of encoder that's typically in relation to what you want to achieve, with software like Pomfort Silverstack you can 'dump' a card through a somewhat rigorous checksum (depending on you're choice of algorithm) verification and from there transcode to multiple different types of deliverables.

However I imagine a $600/year software probably isn't high on the priority list (note you can get project licenses). Shot-put or Yayota are similar in terms of checksum verification just with less bells and whistles. You dump a card through the software to a folder structure you lay out and then you can transcode through resolve etc. Typically for high levels of compression I transcode through resolve from OCN to an intermediary codec (typically ProRes), this allows me to adjust/grade, sync audio and so on then into handbrake as I find it's H264 encoder is superior and has more latitude in controls in comparison to the one in resolves. 

However personally I utilise the whole Pomfort suite (which is pretty bloody brilliant ill add, the only issue I've run up against is multi node library sharing in terms of having multiple offload machines). Which just allows an easy transfer of 'looks' from LiveGrade to Silverstack which I can then transcode directly from Silverstack's library UI and transcode while offloading.

Makes life easy.

I'm just trying to figure out what the best way to organize my footage is, getting it in a folder to work from.  Honestly not sure exactly what the best route is for me, I'm kind of just curious to see what techniques other people use! I'm shooting action sports so sometimes the "stitch together" feature of media encoder makes it really easy to still keep a lot of attempts and clips but not have like 75 individual files to sort through when maybe looking for a good fall or broll clip while editing. So maybe I just need to find the best export settings out of media encoder? I just feel like I have more artifacting than I should when I export out of media encoder into mp4 and then edit that footage. I'm sure maybe I sound a bit clueless, I just switched from shooting 720 p2 footage for years and years to the full 1080 on the ac160 so I'm just trying to get the most out of my footage.

Thanks!

Parrish