For sale: Crystal Sync Controllers for Konvas and CP16R

Aapo Lettinen

• Premium Member

I have couple of ongoing crystal sync controller projects which I originally intended for my own use but it would be great to be able to sell couple of finished systems to other forum members to cover the developing costs and to help others to shoot their movies better ?

The current models include a crystal sync modification to the Konvas 15EPSS motor which converts the motor to 24 - 30v battery and replaces the original electrically stabilized control box with my new Crystal Sync Controller. My controller design enables 16 internal Crystal Sync speeds and a Variable non-crystal speed function.

I have finished one of these controllers so far (sold to the customer in the US) and two more are on the way waiting to be assembled. The current v1.2 firmware allows storing counter information to the onboard memory to save counter information when power is lost and it has couple of additional features compared to the 1.0 version, like the possibility to record pre-set take lengths to save film on certain types of shoots. The controller allows shooting up to 64fps in crystal sync with the modified Konvas 15epss motor. The framerate presets are somewhat customizable and may differ between controllers, please ask for more if wanting special framerates or other custom options ?

Price for the controller including the modification of customer's 15epss motor is 800USD+shipping. 

The images and video are of the 1.0 version, the Konvas controllers for sale are from firmware 1.2 onwards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCzQguQMv8o 

Please let me know if you are interested in these Konvas controllers. Ordering one requires shipping your existing 15epss motor to me for modification (installing the internal speed sensor to it and modifiying the motor to 24v use) . The work takes from 1 to 2 weeks if I have the controller box already ready for shipping. If needing to assemble a new control box it typically takes an additional 2 weeks.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

This is the first mockup version of the controller I am making for the CP16R camera. It is a external 12-speed crystal sync controller which is connected to the camera via a special cable and enables using the CP16R cameras which have broken original electronics. Only the original camera motor itself is needed, the rest of the electronics are replaced by my modification.

- framerate presets as seen in the picture

- no shutter parking but one can use the 3fps inching speed to reach correct mirror position

- external start-stop switch with cable included

- possibility to extract start-stop signal from the controller to control external devices

- possibility to extract the crystal speed signal from the controller to control external devices

- film end warning most likely included. I am just testing this feature at the moment how well it integrates with the system

I am planning on making a single batch of these in February to gain more funds for making more advanced modifications for the CP16R later on. So it is a great opportunity to get your non-working CP16R back to life for reasonable price and to support the further modifications at the same time.

This modification is relatively cheap, 500 USD + shipping.  It requires shipping the whole camera body to me for the modification and one gets the camera back in couple of weeks with the Crystal Controller installed. As said I am planning on making only a single batch of these in February and it is probably not going to be available after that.

Please note that this is a quickly made mockup version and the final controller will have professionally printed markings. The framerate presets are the final ones and I have the circuit boards and software already finished, only the external case and control panel need more work: 

51815315297_e63af5a6ed_h.jpg

Please let me know ASAP if you are interested in this CP16R controller. It is only available for a limited time and I will need to assemble all the units at the same time in February so will need to know beforehand how many cameras there would be to modify then.

• Premium Member
On 1/14/2022 at 12:23 PM, aapo lettinen said:

Photos of the Konvas 15epss controller v1.0 :

51713970054_91e9e4e0f7_h.jpg

51712519602_e94d9e0bbb_h.jpg

51713308436_dc326fec63_h.jpg

Design locked for the one control box I am finishing this month and which will be available for purchase in February.

it will have the same framerate presets than the v1.0 seen in the photos and videos I posted but in the place of the 40.00fps preset there will be a 33.333fps preset. The Quick Select speeds will be the same (varispeed, 22.01fps, 24.00fps, 30.00fps, 48.00fps) and the firmware updated to the v1.2 version which has the possibility to save counters to the internal memory so that they are automatically called on startup and which has the possibility to set predetermine take lengths after which the camera will automatically stop (for example for shooting exactly 16ft or 20ft takes all the time if needed to save film in situations where one needs approximately fixed length shots) .

Let me know if wanting to order this version, I'll have one available in February.

Additionally I have one extra Konvas motor and camera if anyone is interested purchasing a modified motor or a motor with a 1M camera body and mags. The motor and camera have the less common 4-teeth rubber connector on the motor axle.  If selling the motor or motor+camera I would be able to purchase another camera+motor kit from ebay and modify it later in Spring to sell it too fully modified and ready to use (just add lenses). just a thought if anyone is interested in this possibility ?

• Premium Member

The current design of the CP16R external box controller has a film end warning system which gives an audible warning when the preset film amount runs out. The film amount is selected using a 12-position rotary switch (just a coincidence because they are the only switches I have available at the moment).

This gives the possibility to select the film amount in 10 meter intervals so that it is easy to use short ends with the system.

Turning the film amount selector to "0" position resets the counter so that one can change the magazine and choose a different film amount for it.

I will add a 9-pin accessory connector to the control box so that it is possible to output the following signals from it to external devices to add lots of extra functions if needed:

- crystal reference frequency (shows the exact framerate preset the system is set on at the moment)

- serial output 9600 baud if I get it working correctly (the serial data contains film counter information and can be used for extrenal footage counters, reading it using a computer, etc.)

- motor encoder signal (speed sensor signal) output (shows the exact framerate the motor is currently running )

- open collector output to control audio recorder start-stop etc. devices when the camera is started. Comparable to a switch which closes momentarily when the camera motor is started or stopped

- start-stop switch connection to add more start-stop switches if needed (one can control the start-stop with electrical devices like Arduino too if taking the time to figure it out)

- unregulated power output for external devices which consume very little power and which have their own voltage regulator. Couple of hundred mA can be taken out from the connector. (It is easy to cause damage to the system if making a wrong connection to this pin so extreme care is needed when using this)

The accessory port signals are extremely useful for persons who want to develop their own accessories for the system or if wanting to add a display or other accessories later (I can develop accessories too if needed). There is a catch though: it is relatively easy to cause a short circuit and destroy something if making a wrong connection to the accessory port so extreme care is required when tinkering with this extra connector and I recommend using correct metering and oscilloscope to double check the connections before using them ?

I WILL WAIT TO GET AT LEAST 4 OF THESE CP16R CONTROLLERS SOLD BEFORE MAKING ANY FURTHER SYSTEMS FOR THE CP16R.   The external box system is available for order now and I will post material of the prototype when getting it fully finished.

• Premium Member

Both the Konvas 15EPSS controller and the CP16R controller have a simple Serial Data output which can be read very easily using an Arduino to show it on a display. I am providing the necessary Arduino code for this application free of charge so you don't need to code anything, just upload the readily made code to the Arduino, connect the oled display to it and connect the two necessary wires between the Arduino and the 9-pin D-connector on the Crystal Controller and it should work correctly right away.

-----------------

Here I am simulating the data output of the Konvas 15EPSS controller using an Arduino Micro and reading the data using an Arduino Uno, printing the data to a 0.96" OLED display. It is very easy to make a additional display device to the Crystal Controllers  by yourself this way and that is why I decided not to include a display to the CP16R controller: it is so easy to make a external display to it by yourself that a internal display is not needed at all.

51838641898_a232c078e9_b.jpg

The idea of this data output is that you can get the necessary display information to another display or a computer some distance away using only two wires and very easily without needing to code anything.  As you can see, all the necessary footage counter information is visible as well as the battery voltage and the approximate crystal frequency set ?

• Premium Member

This is simulated serial data output from the CP16R controller. The exact detail may change but it will include the battery voltage and counter information like you see in the image.

The controller itself does not have any display but it has a simple Arduino compatible Serial Data output and one can easily program an Arduino to view the data even if never having previously used Arduinos. 

I am providing the necessary Arduino code for this application free of charge so the user does not have to code anything, just get an Arduino and a suitable oled display and load the code to the Arduino, then connect the display to it and connect the Arduino to the Crystal Controller 's data output using a 9-pin d-connector and two wires (data and ground wires) between the Arduino and the Crystal Controller.

If necessary, I can purchase a suitable Arduino and display for you and upload the code to the Arduino so that you only have to connect the wires and power to the Arduino to get it working and showing information. You can get suitable Arduino compatible boards for very cheap, I think the cheapest working complete solution would be less than 20 USD total including the board, display, wires and connectors.

51838678976_b7d757fcb9_b.jpg

The reason for leaving the display out from the CP16R Crystal Controller Box was because it needs lots more coding and machining and an additional microcontroller to run the display and a separate circuit board if the display needs to be built in inside the Controller box (additionally having the issue of fitting the extra board inside the already small control box). This would have made the controller way too expensive which would have been very counterintuitive because the whole idea of this External Controller is to be readily available and affordable.

But it is good to know that you can very easily add your own display to the CP16R external control box if you will need it! Just get an Arduino, upload the readily made code to it and connect the wires and you should get it working right away ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

THIS IS THE MOCKUP OF THE FINAL USER INTERFACE LAYOUT OF THE CP16R EXTERNAL CONTROLLER.

I moved the start-stop switch to different position and added the footage counter selector which controls the film end warning and counters. One resets the film end warning by moving the selector to "0" position and then choosing the new roll length for the next magazine.

51862351137_ff9aea488b_b.jpg

There is a 9-pin D connector which outputs display data in 9600baud serial data form so that the user can easily make a external display to show the most important information and the film counters. Making one's own display is very easy and affordable, I will provide the instructions and the Arduino code for the purpose so no code writing is needed, just some basic parts and uploading the readily made code into the user's Arduino to get the display running ?  I can, of course, make suitable displays too if needed but it will be more expensive (from about 100usd) than the users making the displays by themselves (a diy display costs from about 15usd upwards)

51863639809_4752e4d8eb_b.jpg

51838678976_b7d757fcb9_b.jpg

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IN THE NEXT TWO WEEKS IF YOU ARE INTERESTED ABOUT ORDERING THIS UPDATE TO YOUR CP16R CAMERA. 

Some of the components are relatively expensive and have long-ish factory lead times and I am not able to stock a large batch of them unless there is actual orders to fulfill. So I will need to know ASAP how many cameras there will be scheduled for the conversion so that it is possible to arrange all the needed materials and components for the conversions on time.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, charles pappas said:

This is strictly hypothetical I know, but if there were any way to just plug the controller into any CP-16 I would buy it if only for later re-sale.

If I had a CP-16 I would do this without hesitation.

it is theoretically possible to install the controller to the camera by yourself but it is not a simple "plug and play" type of solution. It is not difficult to do but it takes at least half a day to get it up and working with the camera. Basically I would provide all the needed materials for the update and then you would need to remove the original electronics from the camera body and install all the new connectors and speed sensor to it and route the power from the onboard battery connector to the new electronics. The parts would be the same that I use but you would need a affordable oscilloscope to be able to tune the system correctly.

The price for this type of user installable system would be the same (500usd + shipping) but you would save on the shipping costs because not needing to ship the camera body back and forth. of course I would make a good video tutorial how to install the system  ?

• Premium Member

the current version of the controller is setup either for the 24fps camera drive gear OR the 25fps drive gear. So you have to know which gear you have in the camera before ordering a controller for self installation because the gear type setting cannot be changed afterwards easily and you would need to send the box back to me if the setting needs to be changed (it needs hardware and software changes inside the controller box and this cannot be done by the user or a normal service technician. It is possible for me to change boxes afterwars to another setting if needed but this would cost something because I need to take the control box apart and load new software to it + make some changes by soldering to change the gear type setting)

• Premium Member

the oscilloscope is used to verify that the speed sensor installed to the motor is working correctly. it is possible to install it without the oscilloscope but if the sensor needs to be fine tuned it is good to have the oscilloscope to verify that the adjustment is not "on the edge of working correctly" which might give false speed readings in some situations. The cheapest dso138 Chinese oscilloscope would work which costs something like 30 bucks so the price of the tool would not be a problem.

My Konvas15epss controller has a user calibratable sensor preamplifier built inside the motor handle, it has a small green LED light which can be used to verify that the sensor is properly adjusted and thus no oscilloscope is needed. I did not include a led light system in the CP16R controller because the blinking led light in the motor compartment would risk exposing the actual film too and the optical encoder system is a bit different to calibrate. It is possible though that I may figure something out to make the calibrating easier

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, charles pappas said:

If you think I can self-teach myself to use the oscilloscope and you can include instructions in the video for adjusting with the oscilloscope, then put me down for one.

Perfect!  I will finish the prototype in the following weeks and we can discuss then by DM about the details. I am targeting on installing these systems in the cameras in mid March and it should be possible to ship your user installable kit then. I will install the system in couple of cameras first to verify that it is easy and reliable to install, shooting the tutorials at the same time. and can ship user installable kits right after that ?

• Premium Member

Due to the possible war in Europe between Russia and Ukraine, I will need to postpone the CP16R external controller for about  2 months. This is partially due to the current economical instability and partially due to the influences to the supply chains and prices and to the availability of parts and materials.

I should receive the circuit board blanks in about one week and will start to assembly the prototype then.

You can still send me orders in the meantime and I will try to raise more interest by getting the prototype up and running this month. As said this system can be user installed so it is possible to order one and install it to the camera by yourself if needed (takes about half a day to do and you need about 50usd worth of measuring equipment to do that).

The new delivery time for the final system is in late April / mid May 2022.  Please let me know if wanting to order one for your camera ?

• Premium Member

Due to the long delay for the CP16R controller because of the Russia - Ukraine war , I started to work on making it the FINAL DESIGN for the CP16R camera. in the current economic situation it does not make sense for me to do multiple intermediate versions of this design so I will make only one final design for this camera and scrap the rest of the plans including the internally installed design which was too difficult to user install and which thus did not make any sense to finish (shipping cameras back and forth seems to be a dealbreaker because it adds lots of shipping costs)

This means huge changes to the design:

- new delivery time:  June or July 2022

- new price:  750 euros + shipping 

- built-in small OLED display which shows the film counters, battery voltage etc. and helps to setup the film end warnings etc.

- includes shutter parking by default

- phase correction possibility and electrical inching knob (can confirm when tested the new function with the camera)

- user installable system. no need to ship the camera to me for the modification (I can install the system to the camera if needed for a small additional fee). The reason the crystal controller is built into a external box is to make it much simpler to install by the user and thus it is NOT possible to get a built-into-the-camera-body version of this controller (well it is but you would need to order 10 or more).  If you have multiple camera bodies it is possible to order more camera body conversion kits than control boxes and swap the control box between the camera bodies if needed to for example use the same control box with 2 different camera bodies so the external box design makes it very economic if you have more than 1 camera body.

--------------

Other features are like in the 1.0 version so the serial data output etc. features work like before.

• Premium Member

Due to the war and everything (availability of parts, the current impossibility for users to either purchase Konvas cameras or get them serviced because both Russia and Ukraine are out of question for shipping to / from anything) which really complicates making the Konvas 15epss controllers, I have decided that THE CURRENT VERSIONS OF THE KONVAS 15EPSS CONTROLLER WILL BE DISCONTINUED after I have finished the two ones I am building at the moment. So there is no time limit for final orders, I will build the ones I currently have in assembly and that's it for the current model.

One of them is for my own use and another one is for sale.    One of the additional reasons for this decision is that I want to get rid of the original design which is very well working but way too time consuming and expensive to build. I mean, it is a great design for the end user but it is overly complicated and time consuming for me to build them so I would need to charge way too much per unit if continuing with the current design to make it worth the effort. 

I will, however, make another design in Summer which is easier to build and uses more common components which are easier to get. I am probably using the same casing and roughly the same user interface layout than my CP16R controller uses of which current mockup is here:

51890714236_e89d27a4c4_b.jpg

So the next design will probably be a 12-speed model and having a small oled display with roughly similar features than the CP16R controller has. This is for making the assembly and software more standardized between different controllers so that I can use mostly the same components for both the new  v2.0 Konvas controller design and the CP16R controller design.

Note that the new v2.0 controller will not have a quick selector switch but has smaller casing so the new controller will be a bit more compact than the original design. It is possible that I choose to connect the modified 15epss motors permanently to the control box for making the assembly much easier (the 8-pin special connector on the original design is pretty time consuming to solder in place) but we'll see.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Additional information about the Konvas 12-speed and CP16R 12-speed controllers:

- Availability:  approx.  August 2021 onwards

- the Konvas controller will be a 12-speed model and it has the controller permanently connected to the modified 15epss motor. it has roughly similar user interface than the CP16R controller mockup seen on the previous posts

- Oled display on both models like detailed in the previous posts

- On the CP16R model, it is possible for the user to change the "gear type" to fit the same controller on both the cameras with 24fps and 25fps mechanical gears. This is a huge update because one does not need to know beforehand which gear type the to-be-modified camera has installed.

- The CP16R controller will be user installable like mentioned in the previous posts. The user can change the "mechanical gear type 24/25fps" setting on the controller easily so the same controller fits ALL cp16r cameras and can be interchanged between different CP16R camera bodies as long as all the camera bodies have the "base kit" installed into them which adds the needed electrical connections for the external controller

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I should have time to build two CP16R controller kits in July so that they would be available for sale in August 2022. the second batch will probably be possible to assemble in October or November and available in December 2022 if there is enough orders.

The Konvas 15epss 12-speed controller first batch will most likely be available in August or September 2022. About 1 or 2 pieces for sale in the first batch. The second Konvas controller batch will most likely be in Spring2023 if there is enough orders.

Both controllers are only available as special order items only assembled in batches about twice a year so please contact me in May or June 2022 if you are interested in ordering one from the first batch ? 

These are low quantity items not possible to stock and thus it is mandatory to pre order the controller if you want to purchase one so that I will only build the amount people actually need and can keep my costs down so that it is possible for me to build the products in the first place ?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I will discontinue all commercial crystal sync controllers made for Russian cameras including the 12-speed model presented here.

There is various reasons for this but the biggest one is the Russian war in the Ukraine which most likely affects the availability of these cameras for long after the war ends and makes it pretty impossible to get them serviced. I see there is probably going to be a 3 to 5 year period after the war ends during which it is very difficult to get spare parts or lenses or new cameras of the Soviet origin.

if someone, sometime later, would have a urgent need for a crystal controller for the Konvas 15epss motor, I will still keep the old plans and can figure out a custom made solution for your motor. So it is still possible to get a crystal controller custom made if needed. I am just not putting any efford towards finishing the 12-speed controller or building a stock of them because it does not make any sense anymore ?   A custom made controller for 15epss motor would still be possible to make if you need one (typically takes from 3 to 4 months and costs about 1000usd or so) .

------------

The CP16R motor controller project will continue as intended and I should have the first ones available for sale in August or September 2022.